Intermittent Fasting

Options
Anyone have experience with this? Let me know your thoughts below.

Replies

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    A forum search for “intermittent fasting” turns up hundreds of results.

You can start there.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do it, but not for any other reason than it helps me control calories. I'll leave the debate over other health benefits for those that believe/dispute them.

Never been big on breakfast, need to cut out calories to get into a deficit...hmm, maybe just skip breakfast?

Makes hitting my numbers far easier, and for me at least, I don't feel all that hungry.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I do it sort of naturally, as I'm generally not hungry in the mornings (except on weekends for some odd reason!). I eat dinner before 7pm every night and don't eat again until lunchtime the next day. I stay within my calorie goals of 1100-1200 per day (I'm VERY short and have a desk job with little to no additional exercise) and so far have lost 12lbs in 5 weeks. I have no idea if the IF is playing a part in that or not? I mean, calories in, calories out is how I've always lost weight and never considered how IF would figure into that. I ate breakfast before when I was successful in losing over 115lbs but always stayed within calorie goals too, so not sure how IF even works.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,055 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 Intermittent Fasting along with Keto...I have lost 16 lbs. since March
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have skipped breakfast for more than 20 years and in that time I have gained and lost a substantial amount of weight.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    There's a pretty active group for it, so you'll probably get a better response by joining and participating here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Tried it... hated it. It didn't align to my natural circadian rhythms. If you are not a big breakfast eater, than it may be a good lifestyle for you. Otherwise, it doesn't really provide any additional benefit as compared to normal calorie restriction.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Tried it... hated it. It didn't align to my natural circadian rhythms. If you are not a big breakfast eater, than it may be a good lifestyle for you. Otherwise, it doesn't really provide any additional benefit as compared to normal calorie restriction.

Same here, I tried for a moment and then it just kept shifting earlier and earlier with my appetite until I was basically eating breakfast again. I don't like to sleep on an empty stomach so it was a lost cause after that.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've read that it helps with blood glucose levels and metabolism
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been intermediate fasting 16:8 now for about 3 weeks. Lost about 8 lbs but now the scale is not moving. I have kept my calorie deficit the same with intermediate fasting as I was when I wasn't fasting. Would quit fasting but my waistline is continuing to shrink. I will quit fasting after my waistline stops shrinking because I love breakfast and I have to eat a couple of hours before bedtime to fall asleep.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I've read that it helps with blood glucose levels and metabolism

It might help with BG levels, doesn't do anything for your metabolism.

It is (for some) a good way to control calories, but there is nothing magical about it. I naturally IF, since I am rarely hungry in the morning... I got fat eating this way, I have lost weight eating this way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experience with this? Let me know your thoughts below.

There are lots of folks out here who are doing or have done IF! It worked really well for me for awhile in controlling appetite, which is how it can help with weight loss. I had stopped for awhile (went back to eating breakfast) but starting to get back into it now, I think.

What are your goals?