Slim Fast

Options
Trying slim fast for a bit. Anyone had success with it?

Replies

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I can name one person who failed at it: me.

The problem is that I was hungry as hell *all* the time.

It simply wasn’t sustainable (and WAY too expensive).

There’s no magic in those shakes. Just eat some actual food that has similar nutrients and calories.

This was around 30 years ago. I don’t know if the plan has changed since then.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on Slimfast.

Gained it back with interest.

I also (probably) lost my gallbladder due to the yo-yo cycle of excessive restriction followed by excessive binges caused by exactly that kind of program. I ended up at the nearest gas station shop at 10PM after two weeks on slimfast because I was simply craving real food. Didn't matter what it was. Just food. Something to chew.

I didn't learn diddly squat about how to maintain that loss. I learned nothing about what foods make me feel full. What foods I can't have around myself.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How are you defining success? Lots of people have lost some weight because Slim Fast can be a tool to help people reduce calorie intake.

My Fitness Pal provides a tool also. Measure food you eat (while eating food you actually like) and log it using the database here. Stop eating when you reach your calorie limit. Logging is your accountability.

The beauty of logging "regular food" is you are learning what portion sizes are, you are learning which foods are satiating for you. These are tools for maintenance.

The reason I ask about how you define success.....Slim Fast doesn't give you any maintenance tools. Do you want to repeat the process again at some point in the future. Been there done that.

Losing weight is always, 100% about taking in fewer calories. You can let Slim Fast choose those calories for you, or you can take control.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    moonwaif65 wrote: »
    Trying slim fast for a bit. Anyone had success with it?

I lasted about an hour on it when I tried it. Possibly less.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What about Slim Fast appeals to you? It’s completely unnecessary for weight loss, and I have never met anyone who had long term success with it. Whatever benefits you’re getting from Slim Fast, you can also get in cheaper and probably better tasting ways.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Nope, not when I tried it back in the 90's.

Turns out, I have to actually chew food to feel full.

Yep. I can't even do breakfast smoothies alone. They may be packed full of fruits and veggies and protein powder but my stomach will still growl if I don't at least eat some toast with it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I considered it when I was 14 because I saw the commercials, then I saw the bottles sitting in my Aunt's refrigerator and realized how small they were, and learned that that's all you get for certain meals. I noped out of that mindset real quick.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing appealing about slim fast when you can buy a cheaper, healthier meal replacement protein shake that will do the same thing even better.

All you need to lose weight is to consume less calories and try to eat lean healthier choices.

Btw my ex father in law’s ex wife was in a print ad for slim fast after losing 30 lbs on it. She has gained it all back. I’ve lost more than 20 lbs just by eating clean, cutting calories and excercising.
  • bllaura10
    bllaura10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also have powder on hand that I will use on occasion when I’m busy and need something quick for breakfast usually. I was trying it as a meal replacement for breakfast every morning but simply got bored with it and still wanted food after. I also agree that it isn’t sustainable and eventually you will have to learn how to curb your calorie intake with food if you want to loose or maintain your weight. I feel like it still could have a place within a balanced diet though if you use it once and a while as something easy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't work for me.

I like food too much.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of it but I couldn't survive on just that B)
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have used it in the past to maintain weight. I liked it okay, but it was expensive and has a lot of sugar. Today, it has no place in my current diet but I'm not going to throw any shade at the line of products because I have used it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

nocgirl72 wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing appealing about slim fast when you can buy a cheaper, healthier meal replacement protein shake that will do the same thing even better.

All you need to lose weight is to consume less calories and try to eat lean healthier choices.

Btw my ex father in law’s ex wife was in a print ad for slim fast after losing 30 lbs on it. She has gained it all back. I’ve lost more than 20 lbs just by eating clean, cutting calories and excercising.

First I will say that I don't use slimfast nor any meal replacement not even a protein shake...they just don't fill me up. I have tried a few different brands and none of them worked for me.

Will some people regain weight after using meal replacements...yes but so will many people that use calorie counting. Every day on this site you will see..."I am back", "Trying again" etc etc.

Calorie counting does not work for everyone...nor do points, portion control etc etc. No one diet plan will work for the masses.

Other than the fact I don't like getting so much of my nutrition from a single source I kind of envy my friend who lost and maintains on SF. It is super simple deal if you can handle it mentally. He weighs monthly and if it is higher than he wants he spends the next month doing SF again and repeats as needed.

I don't know if he has ever considered another brand or making his own and I don't ask because it is none of my business, he seems content, and his doctor is happy.