Quinoa Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I've tried to get on the quinoa bandwagon, but I just don't like the flavor. I've cooked it many times and in many ways and only liked one dish which was a cold quinoa salad.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of quinoa. Sometimes I l keep it precooked in the fridge and eat it for breakfast with sauteed spinach, black beans and nutritional yeast. Gives me a break from eggs. Also make a salad with chopped peppers, almonds, craisins with raspberry dressing. I also add it to vegetarian chilis and soups to bulk them up a bit and make them more filling (so I can skip the side of bread.) I find it very versatile.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's just a carb. It has some nutrient value, but the social halo of it being NOT a USDA subsidized commodity grain is the reason it's become fashionable.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have made a quinoa/kale/apple salad that can be eaten hot or cold and can also be vegetarian/vegan and good for those on specific carbohydrate or corn-free diets. Let me know if you want the recipe😀
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    As with kale, tried it, didn’t like it. Now I use different wheat types of grain. Chewy and nutty flavor. Yesterday, I made a cold salad with wheat berries, chopped veggies, dried cherries, chopped walnuts and a vinaigrette dressing. It lasts for about a week refrigerated.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I eat it from time to time. It is calorie dense so be sure to weigh and log it accurately.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I have made a quinoa/kale/apple salad that can be eaten hot or cold and can also be vegetarian/vegan and good for those on specific carbohydrate or corn-free diets. Let me know if you want the recipe😀

@DancingMoosie I planted 12 kale plants last month, so please do post the recipe.

6 "dinosaur" kale for smoothies and 6 regular curly Dutch kale for salads.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It's basically chopped onion, chopped apple, finely chopped kale, quinoa, lemon juice, and seasoning. Chop the veggies and set the apple in lemon juice aside. Cook quinoa and then mix it with the kale while still warm to will the kale a bit. Let cool and then stir everything together.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't love it, but it's gluten free, higher in protein and easy to make. I just have to make sure I rinse it really, really well and/or soak it or I get agonizing stomach pains. I find it best not to order it in restaurants or buy the precooked kind since I never know if it was rinsed properly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    It's basically chopped onion, chopped apple, finely chopped kale, quinoa, lemon juice, and seasoning. Chop the veggies and set the apple in lemon juice aside. Cook quinoa and then mix it with the kale while still warm to will the kale a bit. Let cool and then stir everything together.

Thanks!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Used to eat it regularly, didn't notice any particular difference. Just have rice instead now.
  • Joie_de_vivre17
    Joie_de_vivre17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find it really makes me feel full! Add a little curry, it’s delicious
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    It's a grain, like others. I like the feathery texture. It's an alternative that adds variety instead of always having the same thing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

We do this with craisins and slivered almonds added. It's quite nice. Quinoa is a nice change of pace. Higher in protein than most grains and seeds and a complete protein. Easy to cook.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I enjoy quinoa. I cook it with leeks and carrots and broth. However, logging in quinoa is really difficult for me because the options here do not distinguish between dried and cooked, and the numbers are really drastically different
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Its nice for variety. Cooked in broth, a little salsa, beans, or chopped veggies mixed in for flavor. I like it.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    One nice thing about quinoa is that, like soy beans, it's actually a complete protein rather than a partial one. Since the role it plays in the dish is usually what we'd reserve for carbs, so I could see if being helpful for anyone who is training and needs some extra protein, you know?

I'd just say, for dish ideas, if you look at more South American dishes you can find some nice dishes for quinoa that we might not usually have here. :-)