Sore nipples from running

Options
ca_josh
ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
They are so tender and sore from running that I’ve had to put band aids on them. Any pro tips on how to prevent this pain?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Put the bandaids on before you run. That is the best solution. You can try using "Glide" from the sports store or vasoline, but it wears off over some time. Finally, you can run shirtless.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You can try other shirts. I've never had an issue with looser fitting shirts, but I had a tighter one I wore on a long training run once and got the dreaded bloody nips. Talk about uncomfortable! I also slather them with BodyGlide, just in case.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    bandaid or moleskin or similar products applied before the run.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If I’m going to go for a run longer than 4 miles I put medical tape (3M product, clear and has a bit of grip) over my nipples. Goes on easy and does the job perfectly. Hurts peeling it off though.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    3M Transpore Clear 1-Inch Wide First Aid Tape, 10-Yard Roll (2 Rolls) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OFM6JE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A2C0Cb0RRQQFS
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    stop your shirt from rubbing.

Bandaids... bodyglyde... vasaline... tight baselayer/shirt...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ca_galt wrote: »
    They are so tender and sore from running that I’ve had to put band aids on them. Any pro tips on how to prevent this pain?

LOL it's a rite of passage, you'll know you're a real runner when they bleed!

All kidding aside the only foolproof method I've found is to wear a compression top under my running shirts (I've tired bandaids, nip-guards, vaseline, body glide) nice & tight....no movement, no chaffing (I also find tighter triathlon tops have the same effect)

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Just go with Band Aids. No need to get the pricey ones - just use the drug store brand bulk pack.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options

Ah, the wet t-shirt after-affect. I'm a sweat beast and my claim to fame back in my gym days after a hard treadmill running workout is that I'd win the wet t-shirt contest. Hurts what you're experiencing. I used to run outdoors topless until I wised up about protection from the sun. A little dab of vaseline?

By the way, how did your hill sprint workout go?

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    applying paper tape to the areas before hand to prevent friction burns; moleskin would do the same but doesn't seem as convenient (often labeled as reusable, more suited for custom fitting shoes with vs. paper tape - super cheap and disposable)
  • ca_josh
    ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Ah, the wet t-shirt after-affect. I'm a sweat beast and my claim to fame back in my gym days after a hard treadmill running workout is that I'd win the wet t-shirt contest. Hurts what you're experiencing. I used to run outdoors topless until I wised up about protection from the sun. A little dab of vaseline?

By the way, how did your hill sprint workout go?

The hill sprints were brutal, in a good way. Thank you for that. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but my lungs and legs were BURNING. I collapsed after the second set.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @ca_galt, I don't know what you actually did but believe I shared about the Sprint 8 protocol, it's what I've done in the past. When sprinting, different fuel is used than the longer-distance stuff and that "rocket fuel" (ATP) has a shelf-life of about 30 seconds as I recall (someone can correct me if I'm wrong.) So, the 30-second sprint is perfect. What I found is that my form starts to break down at about 25 seconds. Did them a dozen years ago and was sold on their effectiveness. They're not meant to be done frequently, I did mine once a week on Saturday with a group of guys and I remember thinking and dreading the workout the two days before but feeling like a million dollars after having done it as prescribed.

Here's some more info about Phil Campbell if you're not familiar with his name:

https://www.readysetgofitness.com/

I had his book, lent it to someone as is often the case, never got it returned.

One good thing about hill sprints is, I believe, it lowers the chance of a hamstring pull that has a higher risk if the sprints are done on an all-weather track. Of course, this depends on the condition of your hamstrings.

Keep up the good work and remember, so far as hill sprints go, more is not better.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    3M Transpore Clear 1-Inch Wide First Aid Tape, 10-Yard Roll (2 Rolls) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OFM6JE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A2C0Cb0RRQQFS

This. No need to waste money. I have been using the same roll for more than a year (and I run 4-6 days a week).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    You can try other shirts. I've never had an issue with looser fitting shirts, but I had a tighter one I wore on a long training run once and got the dreaded bloody nips. Talk about uncomfortable! I also slather them with BodyGlide, just in case.

+1
    I'm fine with most shirts, but last year I bought a nice looking shirt that tore me up!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    GaryRuns wrote: »

+1
    I'm fine with most shirts, but last year I bought a nice looking shirt that tore me up!

I'm convinced that races that give away 'tech' shirts that are more cotton-like than satin-like were not organized by runners.

Either give me a t-shirt or give me a shirt to run in. I don't want a shirt that tries to be both. Those cotton-y tech shirts are nipple killers.