What is the secret?

I really really want to be early riser to get my workouts out of the way and possibly be able to incorporate periodically working out 2x a day.

What is your secret to a 5am out of the house gym workout? How did you get in the habit?

Replies

• Stac5097
    Stac5097 Posts: 6 Member
    Well that was helpful. Not everyone is a morning person. But thanks for the reply.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Part of it is going to bed earlier. I don't use an alarm clock but I usually roll out of bed between 4:30 and 5:00, have my coffee and either go for a run or whatever my workout is that day. I don't go to a gym though, everything I need is at the house.

Having said that, if you're not a morning person could you hit the gym at lunch or after work? We all have our own internal clocks.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    There is no secret for me. I just have to get through the suck and then after a few days I realize that it's not that bad and becomes my new normal. obviously there is the regular advice, like get your clothes and stuff put together and ready to go, get your coffee maker set to auto-brew, etc. but really you just have to force yourself out of bed and go do it.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    There is no secret for me. I just have to get through the suck and then after a few days I realize that it's not that bad and becomes my new normal. obviously there is the regular advice, like get your clothes and stuff put together and ready to go, get your coffee maker set to auto-brew, etc. but really you just have to force yourself out of bed and go do it.

:D Yep.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I can manage to get in an early workout a couple of times a week. Any more than that and I get grumpy - I don't like the early workouts. That said, it's worth it a couple of times a week so that life doesn't get in the way later in the day. How do I manage? Well, just CHOOSE to get up. Getting up and dressed is the hard part. You'll never regret the workout.
    I feel your pain. we all have to find that balance and the trade offs that allow us to reach our goals. It's not always butterflies and unicorns and rainbows for sure. Sometimes it's a stanky 4:45 wake up.
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    I’ve been a morning person since before I could remember. But for those who aren’t, I think gradually setting your alarm earlier (say by 15 minutes first day) and doing the same with going to bed earlier so you’re not a zombie in the morning.
    I’m up at 3:30 to workout by 4; most times a little earlier. It’s not always easy but it’s the best time I can do it.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I'm not a morning person, but I still manage to get up and 4:50am so that I can run before work. I make sure to set out everything I'm going to need the night before. I run at work and shower there, so that means that the night before I'm setting out running clothes, work clothes, shower essentials, and my lunch. After a while you get used to the early hour and it becomes second nature.
  • Stac5097
    Part of it is going to bed earlier. I don't use an alarm clock but I usually roll out of bed between 4:30 and 5:00, have my coffee and either go for a run or whatever my workout is that day. I don't go to a gym though, everything I need is at the house.

Having said that, if you're not a morning person could you hit the gym at lunch or after work? We all have our own internal clocks.

I do go at lunch or at night. Just was really hoping to wake up early and go. My internal clock is set at 6:30am, but that’s about an hour too late.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    The secret of getting up early is going to bed early. It really is as simple as that.

This. Getting enough sleep so the getting up is easy and you don't feel like you trashed your whole day. Being light on sleep leads to extra hunger for me, too. Turn your attention to your night time routine, also. Around 7.30pm I better be thinking about getting all my "go to bed" things done - clean up the kitchen, set the coffee pot, check the cats food and water, shower if I need/want to, change, lay out workout clothes and etc etc and leave time for reading in bed. Popping out of a Netflix and Candy Crush binge at 9.30 unprepared isn't going to help.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Sleep in your gym clothes, prep everything the night before and go to bed earlier.

The hardest part is the getting up, once you're up the battle is pretty much won.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Sleep in your gym clothes, prep everything the night before and go to bed earlier.

The hardest part is the getting up, once you're up the battle is pretty much won.

I totally agree with sleeping in your workout clothes. Then all you need to do is force yourself out of the bed, and you are off. This works for me.
    Anyone that will workout with you that early? Having a friend really motivates me for early workouts.
  • Stac5097
    jnomadica wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »

I totally agree with sleeping in your workout clothes. Then all you need to do is force yourself out of the bed, and you are off. This works for me.
    Anyone that will workout with you that early? Having a friend really motivates me for early workouts.

No, not really and I actually like working out alone because I talk too much 😂🤦🏼‍♀️. I like the sleeping in the clothes idea.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I've left the house 3-4:30 am for nearly forty years. Get coffee and protein shake set night before, gear packed early, with clothes laid out.

Go to bed early.

It's a priority to me. I want to train so I do everything possible for adherence.