Low calories and raised blood pressure.

I was sick yesterday and am still so far today.
Yesyerday i managed to eat 987 calories. Today only 487 calories. And my pressure is really high today.
Hope this flu gets gone so i can eat. Low calories always raises my blood pressure.

Would any member know why this is.

Thanks

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited May 2019
    Perhaps bodily stress from lack of calories? Also, food itself contains a lot of water, and usually I have trouble staying hydrated in general while sick. Dehydration can impact blood pressure.
  • fesimo34197
    fesimo34197 Posts: 94 Member
    Most likely the fact that you are feeling under the weather is the reason for your raised BP if anything lack of fluid would lower your BP. Try to just rest and let your body heal.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Dehydration CAN cause Hugh blood pressure:-

“Hypertension- High blood pressure is common in people who are chronically dehydrated. When the body’s cells lack water, the brain sends a signal to the pituitary glad to secrete vasopressin, a chemical that causes constriction of the blood vessels. This causes blood pressure to increase which leads to hypertension”

OP if you want to increase your calories just have a few calorie dense foods like a few spoons of peanut butter, some buttered toast, a few biscuits etc. Or drink some meal replacements shakes if you’re especially worried but like others said, the high BP is probably not a result of the 3 days of calorie restriction, more likely the illness itself or dehydration.