Easy way to get in veggies?

Options

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat veggies is in a sandwich or stir fry. I do like snacking on bell pepper or carrots, but i can see how that might get boring.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. SO many great ideas, thank you!
  • aggieanne04
    aggieanne04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies and fruits since it's that time of the year. :) My diary's open if you need inspiration.

I like mixing up Ranch dip using nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and I'll eat bell pepper strips, baby carrots, raw squash slices, cucumbers, for a snack. Veggies are also good with hummus! I throw chopped celery and shredded carrots into everything I cook, pretty much. I put spinach in my protein shakes since I never taste it. Our go-to veggie for supper is steamed broccoli/cauliflower (Broccoli Wokly bags). Tonight I'm mashing up yellow squash since I need to cook it before it spoils. Mashed cauliflower is really good, too, and I make it year-round from a bag of frozen florets. I put a handful of frozen mixed veggies into anything processed that I make (dirty rice from a box, Lipton noodle packets, etc.).
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I try to do my prep on the weekends and then have it all portioned and ready to go for the week. When I get sick of veggies and hummus, I'll make tabbouleh or tomatoes and basil or non-mayo coleslaw to bring. Here are a couple other favorite recipes...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/massaged-kale-salad-recipe/index.html - the way she makes it, it has quite a few calories, but i cut way back on the oil and it was still delicious

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/classic-israeli-salad/

Good luck! And I also agree that you can have fruit for snacks and just load up on veggies with your meals!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too because my boyfriend HATES vegetables. So I've started making my own avocado spread for sandwiches in lieu of mustard or mayo, and it also doubles for dip with chips or other veggies. I put it on my burgers, veggie burgers (there's another idea), and well any sandwich really :-) This past batch I chopped up some bell pepper and threw that in there as well. Om nom nom nom, I am so addicted to it, I eat it by itself.

I also make stir fry that is heavily laden with peppers, asparagus, squash, green beans, pretty much any veggie I like, I will throw in there. Meat is just an added bonus :-)

Basically if I snack on something, it's going to be fruit but I try to make sure my meals have them.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    For snacking on veggies, I like raw veg dipped in hummous or tzaiziki. Beans, managetouts, peppers, broccoli all work well.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like gazpacho in the summer--tomatoes, celery, cucumber, green onion, and a bit of jalapeno blended together with some vegetable juice and a splash of olive oil.

I munch on raw radishes with salt, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like raw sugar snap peas in addition to the usual raw veggies.

I also eat a lot of soups that have lots of veggies in them. Sometimes pureed, and sometimes not. It just depends. I haven't been able to bring myself to put them in a smoothie, but maybe someday.

Don't forget fresh herbs as well. They have quite a lot of nutrients too!
  • aggieanne04
    aggieanne04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I puree 1/2 cup of celery, 1/2 cup of carrots, and 1/2 cup of onion to put in my meatloaf. Makes it SUPER moist and delicious. I also buy those bags of mini sweet peppers and chop them up and put them in everything (salads, stir fry, scrambled eggs and hashbrowns, mixed in with spaghetti sauce, chicken and alfredo). Just a couple ideas :)

This! If I make meatballs, I add in pureed celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and ground up oatmeal (in place of crackers).
  • mslizalde
    Options
    There's juicing which I have a lot of fun with or I buy cucumbers and slice them in advance as a quick go to also I like edamame cold and keep that handy all the time. Raw broccoli is really popular around here dipped in ranch or balsamic dressing. Hope those help.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I use my food processor and add them to lots of things.
    Onions, peppers, peas, carrots, zucchini, & and while not a vegetable, I do the same with some beans.

But zucchini... I put it into so many things that I make. From rice to pasta sauce. Yum!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    KALE CHIPS!!!

^^ Good one!

A tip though: don't put them in a ziplock bag or they will go soft. :sad:
  • sasu27
    sasu27 Posts: 51
    Options
    I hate pretty much all vegetables, but once I put them in a soup I no longer care. I have a chicken soup in the crock pot now that's just a chicken breast, chicken thigh, bag of Birdseye Recipe Starters Stew mix (carrots, celery, onions, potatoes) and no salt chicken stock. I won't eat any of those veggies on their own (other than potatoe-not really a veggie), but I love them in soup. Another soup favorite of mine is vegetable beef. I just use low sodium V8, beef roast, and a couple bags of mixed veggies.
  • jnewell9
    jnewell9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Put them in your mouth hole.
    This made me laugh out loud. Veggies came out my nose.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I puree 1/2 cup of celery, 1/2 cup of carrots, and 1/2 cup of onion to put in my meatloaf. Makes it SUPER moist and delicious. I also buy those bags of mini sweet peppers and chop them up and put them in everything (salads, stir fry, scrambled eggs and hashbrowns, mixed in with spaghetti sauce, chicken and alfredo). Just a couple ideas :)

Does this combo of puree'd veggies replace something else (such as the ketchup)?
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ok for real though I forgot about edamame. LOVE that stuff.

Any brand recommendations for kale chips? Never had it but I know I'll like it.

I'm not a huge soup eater unless is cream of something. But I will look to adding veggies to my meals to supplement my lack of them.

You guys are chock full of ideas, and I'm liking it!
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Does this combo of puree'd veggies replace something else (such as the ketchup)?

No ma'am. For the loaf I do: the veggies listed above + 1 pound of pork + 1 pound beef (I'm sure you'd just cut all this in half to make a smaller portion) + bread crumbs. Then I form it into a loaf and pour 1 small can of organic tomato sauce over the top. No ketchup or anything. :) It honestly is the best meatloaf I have ever tasted and I was an avid anti-meatloafer up until a few years ago.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I do a smoothie everyday for lunch. I use almond milk, yogurt, and a variety of fruits and veggies. Today I had Kale, peach and blackberry. Sometimes I use spinach instead of kale. Berries are really good for over powering the kale and spinach so you don't taste it. Sometimes, for breakfast, I'll have an omelette with spinach, mushrooms and tomato.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I mostly just eat them. I can't think of an easier way. No time to put them in a smoothie.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Put cheese and butter on it......wait