Couch to 5k

Options
melm1903
melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted anything! I am on week 2 of couch to 5k and would love to connect with people who have done this/are doing this/are thinking about doing this!!

I hate running, always have and at the minute think I always will but I am motivated and determined!

What's everyone else experiences?

Feel free to add me, we can motivate each other!!

:)

Replies

• melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hwlf84 wrote: »
    I’m one run off graduation. Never ran in my life. Hated it at school (and all exercise) but have loved this programme and now love running! Keep going it’s great.

amazing!! well done!!

Did you find it hard at the beginning? I'm struggling with my lower legs really, the pain when I am running. I've researched some strength exercises for runners and have started these!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    melm1903 wrote: »
    Hwlf84 wrote: »
    I’m one run off graduation. Never ran in my life. Hated it at school (and all exercise) but have loved this programme and now love running! Keep going it’s great.

amazing!! well done!!

Did you find it hard at the beginning? I'm struggling with my lower legs really, the pain when I am running. I've researched some strength exercises for runners and have started these!

Run slower. A lot slower. Barely slow motion jogging. Do 2 rest days between runs. I had a lot of trouble until I slowed down
  • firstnamerachel
    firstnamerachel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started the zombies run one today... We'll see how it goes
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K about 6 years ago and am still running about 3 times a week. I never ran before the program and haven't looked back.

Whenever I get pain in my legs or knees or my runs make me feel unusually tired, I go to the running store and get a new pair of shoes. It gets rid of the problem every time.
    When did you last get new shoes? Were you fitted for the right shoe for your foot?

Also, slow down and run slower. If you feel you are running slow now, slow down even more. You're running faster than you should be right now. Speed will come in time. Right now, run as slow as you need to in order to make it through the running session.

Good fitted shoes and a very, very, very slow pace is the ticket right now.
  • crsullivan655
    crsullivan655 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve just downloaded the app and I’m going to start this weekend :) I can walk fast but as soon as I start jogging I struggle, so I’m hoping couch to 5k will help. I really want to do a half marathon next year!
  • DeeMyFitPal
    DeeMyFitPal Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I’m on week 6! I just got a real pair of running shoes yesterday and it made a big difference. I also added yoga once a week and that helps with the soreness and tightness from running on pavement. I don’t have any friends on here yet but add me I’d love some runner friends.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    There is a couch to 5k group in the message boards here too. I don’t know how to share that link but there is a lot of helpful info pinned there and a thread devoted to those who are currently doing c25k
  • 2BThinAgain5
    2BThinAgain5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done the Couch to 5K a few times. Looking for motivation and support to get back to it. Please add me! Thanks!
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am on week 1. It is the 3rd time I have started but doing a 5k in June so sticking to it this time. I also hate running and feel like I will never be that person that loves it but I hope to not hate it some day :D
  • beckymoorebecca
    beckymoorebecca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im on week 3😁 first time for getting this far so feeling good and motivated!!
  • bbbccp
    bbbccp Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have done it 3 times. Twice successfully! One of the things I loved was Chubby Jones podcasts. You have to scroll through- she has all the weeks in different years, but we'll worth the few minutes. She plays some funky music and calls you a sexy *kitten*- very motivating!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Jamie2663 wrote: »
    I am on week 1. It is the 3rd time I have started but doing a 5k in June so sticking to it this time. I also hate running and feel like I will never be that person that loves it but I hope to not hate it some day :D

Why do something you hate? I would prefer to find an activity that I like and enjoy, that way I know I'll stick with it. There are many, many great forms of exercise that aren't running.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So if you don't like running don't run. I am a firm believer with exercise, if you don't like it, you are not going to do it.
    Find something you like to do.

I do not like running but love sprinting. I am not a fan of running. I don't want the "runners" body either and most runners I know they complain of knee pain, hip pain, etc. and I find running to be boring. I love sprinting though. HIIT training is what I love. I do this 2 days a week. Friday I do 3 miles, Sundays 4 miles. I do walk, jog and sprint intervals. I go with the music. Fast song, I sprint for 30 sec and recover for 30 secs repeat. Slow song hill climbs, etc. or walk for 5min , jog for 5 min, sprints for 5 mins (30 sec on 30 sec off) and then repeat until I do it for 45 in or an hour. I burn a lot of calories. (600)

On the other days I lift heavy 3 days a week, spin another day, and tabata train (HIIT training) and lighter weights 2 days a week. I mix it up and train everyday. So Im not bored and look forward to working out.

• Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Jamie2663 wrote: »

Why do something you hate? I would prefer to find an activity that I like and enjoy, that way I know I'll stick with it. There are many, many great forms of exercise that aren't running.

I am not going to be an avid runner. I just want to be able to run a 5K. Finish somewhere in the middle. I love biking so that is what I do in the summer around here and love walking. It is just something I want to say I can and have done. If a good cause comes up maybe run the 5k. :)
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K a couple years ago and then went into C210K and then got married and my exercise kinda fell off and everntuslly picked C25K back up around week 4/5 because I knew I was still “fit” enough to be beyond having to start over from scratch. It’s a great program. I’m still running up to 3x a week for 3 miles during the week and 5+ miles on Saturdays if I have the time. I recently completed my first 10K race. I was always a swimmer and never a runner before this and at my most recent swim session two weekends ago I was thinking to myself “I’d kind of rather be running right now.” Weird. Might be because I can listen to my podcasts while I run and don’t listen to anything while I swim
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I am getting back into running after 30 years. I am training on the treadmill. Everyone keeps saying to run really slow. Is 4.5mph too fast? I alternate with walking. I am a really slow walker too so each time I increase my walking speed by 0.1mph. I'm up to 3.5mph walking. I hope that, theoretically, sometime in the future, my walking speed will match my running speed. Should my running time be slower?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    I am getting back into running after 30 years. I am training on the treadmill. Everyone keeps saying to run really slow. Is 4.5mph too fast? I alternate with walking. I am a really slow walker too so each time I increase my walking speed by 0.1mph. I'm up to 3.5mph walking. I hope that, theoretically, sometime in the future, my walking speed will match my running speed. Should my running time be slower?

Can you speak a sentence while running? If you have to pant the sentence out with effort, you're running too fast.
    It's such an individual thing . You'll have to determine how hard it takes to say the sentence and whether that is "too hard". If your lungs feel like they are exploding, slow down.
    If in doubt, slow down.
    You'll feel when you're ready to speed the treadmill up. I found that after a time, I started to slightly trip on the treadmill. That was my cue to adjust it faster until I stopped tripping. You'll speed up naturally with time.
    When you run outdoors, you naturally speed up, too, but you may not notice it at first unless you have a fitness watch with timer.
  • betsymoomoo
    betsymoomoo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started this week! I don't like the app I'm using though so I am hoping some of you might have suggestions for a better one? I'm willing to pay and use iOs.

I'm slow as heck but sound like I used to walking up stairs when I was over 300lbs so it's definitely a good workout.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    liz0269 wrote: »

Can you speak a sentence while running? If you have to pant the sentence out with effort, you're running too fast.
    It's such an individual thing . You'll have to determine how hard it takes to say the sentence and whether that is "too hard". If your lungs feel like they are exploding, slow down.
    If in doubt, slow down.
    You'll feel when you're ready to speed the treadmill up. I found that after a time, I started to slightly trip on the treadmill. That was my cue to adjust it faster until I stopped tripping. You'll speed up naturally with time.
    When you run outdoors, you naturally speed up, too, but you may not notice it at first unless you have a fitness watch with timer.

Thank you! I think I need to slow down.