Staying Healthy While Loosing Weight is Hard

Options
To whoever is reading this, you probably joined MyFitnessPal for the same reason most people do; to loose weight and lead a healthier life from this moment forward. This is amazing; that you have the motivation to take control of your life and say, "I want what's best for me and my body, I want to become a healthier person all around." Being healthy is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Exercising reguraly, eating more protien and non-processed foods, and loosing weight are all great things you can do for body! But, before you begin loosing weight, eating healthier, exercising more, whatever, there is one, crazily IMPORTANT thing you need to understand. When you're loosing weight, you can become so obsessed with the numbers on your scale you forget that, above anythimg else, being HEALTHY is more important than cutting down your body weight. Of course, it is never healthy to be really overweight or obese, and in those cases loosing weight is VERY important, but it must be done in a safe, healthy way. Please don't skip meals or force your daily calorie intake under 1000. Weight loss takes a LONG TIME, it's not going to happen overnight. Please let it happen through being healthy, not through skipping meals or cutting down calories untill you're barely eating anything at all. That is the OPPOSITE of healthy. So, please, please, be healthy. Loose weight, eat better, exercise more, but don't starve yoyrself or choose the quick way over the healthy way. You'll thank yourself later. ❤

Replies

• dogWalkerTX
    dogWalkerTX Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I'm sure your hearts in the right place but there's nothing wrong with skipping meals..

Yup! I've already skipped breakfast.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Meals aren't really a defined thing though. Some people eat three, some eat six, some eat one huge one and snack the rest of the time. It makes no difference how many meals you eat in a day as long as you're comfortable.

Also exercise is overrated. Many people get by just on their NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis.)
  • dogWalkerTX
    dogWalkerTX Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Meals aren't really a defined thing though. Some people eat three, some eat six, some eat one huge one and snack the rest of the time. It makes no difference how many meals you eat in a day as long as you're comfortable.

Also exercise is overrated. Many people get by just on their NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis.)

I agree with all that you said from a weight loss perspective, but exercise makes me happy. While diet contributes to weight loss more than exercise does, exercise is necessary for mental health. It feels good to move, to be strong, and be outside.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

I agree with all that you said from a weight loss perspective, but exercise makes me happy. While diet contributes to weight loss more than exercise does, exercise is necessary for mental health. It feels good to move, to be strong, and be outside.

It's great that exercise makes you feel good. My point was that it's not good for everyone. In my case, it tends to make my mental health worse. I hate the outdoors with a passion, and while I don't mind moving to accomplish something, like going somewhere, I loathe movement for movement sake. It triggers all of my anxiety.

Much like diets, there's no one answer that fits everyone.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

That might be true for weight loss but tell that to my arthritis that doesn't hurt anymore. To the leg of my brand new hip that is now stronger than ever.

Everyone should exercise for health reasons. Do you want to be the old woman sitting at the window looking out at the world because you can't get out of your chair by yourself? Do you want to be the grandma who can't get on the floor with her grandkids?

Be careful what advice you give people.

• eqc8486
    eqc8486 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand what the original poster is saying. I think she’s talking more on being so obsessed with caloric goals that, despite feeling hungry you might skip a meal just to at or under the daily goal. It’s in relation to having an unhealthy or disordered relationship with food. I have the tendency to want to fall in that dark hole. This message might not be necessary for everyone on this app but it certainly is for folks like me and I appreciate it.