Am now overweight. Should I lose weight or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    You look fine to me and if your waist is 25 inches then you aren’t unhealthy. If you want to lose a few lbs then go for it but I think 120 lbs at your height is too skinny.

You really can't say that though. There's plenty of people who don't carry extra weight in their waist area, that are at high risk for medical conditions or who have them. My husband's grandmother is 90lbs soaking wet and yet she's been a prediabetic for years, has had numerous strokes etc. She's never been overweight and eats a 'healthy' diet.

Sometimes our outside appearance doesn't give the whole picture.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    You look fine to me and if your waist is 25 inches then you aren’t unhealthy. If you want to lose a few lbs then go for it but I think 120 lbs at your height is too skinny.

You really can't say that though. There's plenty of people who don't carry extra weight in their waist area, that are at high risk for medical conditions or who have them. My husband's grandmother is 90lbs soaking wet and yet she's been a prediabetic for years, has had numerous strokes etc. She's never been overweight and eats a 'healthy' diet.

But your grandmother's issue is not related to being overweight, right?

Waist of 25 would be an additional way to evaluate whether current weight is presenting additional health concerns because of the possibility of abdominal fat.

The cut offs are based on population statistics. The individual risks are based on a personal evaluation.

I seem to recall a pretty intense struggle and hard deficits to get to 120 and generally speaking an unhappy state of mind.

Arresting the rebound comes first.

A fast and hard weight loss is definitely not something I would try at this point. Drifting downwards into normal range? Sure. But only if done as a "happy task" without ANY pressure, medications, restrictions, timelines... frankly without ANY additional stress over whatever may be necessary to just maintain.

I am working on trying to get to a far better homeostasis point where I can live a little better. So far, 10lbs. Probably less dt me starting creatine use 10 days ago causing a water weight spike. Has helped some. I have the idea that I will come to a far easier point to maintain. I agree with @PAV8888 . Stop the gain. I maintained for over a year and a half and it was honestly a living HELL!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If YOU want to lose, then lose. If not, don't. It's up to you! I, personally, think you look great. But what a complete stranger on an internet forum thinks of you is not important :) What matters is how YOU feel!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If the weight doesn't bother you and you're not experiencing physical or medical issues because of it, then don't worry about it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    I'm 5'6 and this morning just weighed in at 160.1 (picture below). In 2013 I was nearly 200 pounds and ended up losing over 70 pounds by 2015 at an ending weight of around 120. Since 2015, I've been lazier with tracking although I've remained very active and still regularly lifting weights. In 2018, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I also use public transportation and walk everywhere I need to go. Over the course of 4 years, I've re-gained a total of 40 pounds and am now back in overweight territory according to BMI. However, my family, boyfriend, and friends say I look great and shouldn't try to lose any weight. Most of my weight gain is in my lower half by the way. Even though I'm now overweight, my waist is STILL 25 inches. I still wear the same x-small tops that I wore at my lowest weight. My hips however have gone from 34 to 44 inches since 2015. What should I do? Current pic of me below.
    My profile pic is from 2015 by the way so don't be confused by that.

5'6 and 160.1 pounds

My main concern is with the bolded. There's a motivational quote I've read that says, "Don't decrease the goal; increase the effort." It can be interpreted multiple ways, but to me, it's a warning about moving the goalposts in weight management. You have a slow creep going on, averaging ~96 more calories than needed every day. Some people who gain weight back decide that they chose an unrealistic goal, and settle in the new weight. Others, however, continue gaining and thus continue the slippery slope back to a total regain. Be honest and diligent, and make the choice from there.

Damn! I like that response!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »

But in that case, losing weight won’t make one more healthy if they are genetically predispositioned to high cholesterol or blood pressure, for example, despite being skinny. I never said all skinny people are healthy.