IT band issues

Options
mim619
mim619 Posts: 33 Member
Been running about a year. No real increase in miles 4-5 3 days per week. Just cruising until I start half marathon prep in October. About 6 weeks ago I started experiencing outer knee pain. Classic IT band. Well I stopped running started, cycling, elliptical, rowing, swimming, and continuing my lifting. I have no pain on any exercise other than running and the pain always starts 1 mile in. Like clockwork.

I had really hoped it would resolve itself by now but as of now I still can't run more than 1 mile. I have only tried running 3 times in the last 6 weeks. I always stop as soon as the ache sets in because I don't want it getting worse. Any advice or experiences to share timeline I am looking at?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What lifts does your training consist of and what is your frequency, avg intensity and volume increases?
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    IT band was quite possibly the most frustrating injury I've experienced. It dragged on for months and I still get little flare ups over a year later. After reducing mileage off and on for several months, and PT, I finally had stop everything except swimming. I'd have to find my training calendar to be sure, but I think I went two weeks with only swimming, plus another 2-3 with no running. And then I had to rebuild the running from scratch - 2 miles twice a week, then 3 miles twice a week, then 3 miles 3 times a week - it was an incredibly slow frustrating build.
    Sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful. I'd suggest a good couple weeks of rest and consult with a physical therapist.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes? Could they be worn out?