Maintaining

I am struggling more now trying to maintain than I was losing. I’ve lost 192 pounds and have reached my goal weight. I’m finding my weight fluctuates 5-6 pounds. I’m scared that the 5 pounds will turn into 10 then 15 and so on. My weight has always been an issue for me since childhood. I have done this alone and am struggling. Ideas and suggestions please. I’m even up for new friends who are willing to post suggestions recipes and ideas for me.

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,236 Member
    First, congrats on a phenomenal weight loss. A great accomplishment. How have you changed your CI and CO since hitting your goal? Does your weight typically vary a lot ( e.g , are you sensitive to fluid retention)? Are you still tracking and weighing food? Is there anything specific you are struggling with? Perhaps if you could provide a bit more info, others could be more helpful.

For me maintenance has been as big a learning curve as losing was. I am three months into it and, for the first time, starting to feel like I am getting a handle on it.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I struggle with maintenance because I fall into the "oh I can eat this extra thing here" habit which in time becomes lots of extra things here and next thing you know i'm over my sweet spot again.

So it's like a constant lose 2-3 kilos, gain 2-3 kilos. I know 2-3 kilos is not much, but on me it makes a noticeable difference when I weigh 60kg to 63kg - particularly in my midsection - guts and muffin top.

So yeah... I'm afraid I don't have the answer, but technically speaking, it would be to eat sensibly and not having too much extra all the time. Keep tracking for a bit.
  • 425Recess
    425Recess Posts: 260 Member
    How long have you been at your goal? It does take some getting use to it. It really isn't any different that being in the losing phase. It is just the mental thing. Sometimes it is the "I made it, I can do whatever I want." Sometimes it is the worry, "I can't do it, it won't stick." Obviously you are very good at the losing phase - very impressive! Just keep at it until you head realizes that this is your life style, it is wonderful, and it will be it forever.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Kudos on the loss...that is incredible.

Maintenance takes some tweaking and trusting, but it works. A WW tenet I kept is having a +/- 5 pound buffer from my target weight because, well, life happens and the body isn't bound to doing what we want all the time...HOWEVER, we need to give ourselves a little room to breath and NOT accidentally regain what we lost.

Don't be afraid...work the plan and trust it. 192 pounds in quite impressive and tells you the plan works...so work it in maintenance.

And again, congratulations. You've got this!
  • sannklinger
    sannklinger Posts: 34 Member
    Thank you, I do log my food and exercise still. I’m a bit obsessive about it. I’ve also started exercising. I walk and use the elliptical.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    when I quit weighing regularly I started gaining so I have learned my lesson, those scales are my consequences. You can get in big denial if you don't weigh. Congrats, Wow, you did great!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I am struggling more now trying to maintain than I was losing. I’ve lost 192 pounds and have reached my goal weight. I’m finding my weight fluctuates 5-6 pounds. I’m scared that the 5 pounds will turn into 10 then 15 and so on. My weight has always been an issue for me since childhood. I have done this alone and am struggling. Ideas and suggestions please. I’m even up for new friends who are willing to post suggestions recipes and ideas for me.

Weight fluctuating 5 lbs is actually pretty normal. You are never one stagnant weight, maintenance is a range. I decided my range is 125-130. When I see 131 on the scale, I get serious about logging again and if it doesn't start to settle back down, I eat at a 250 deficit until I get back down to the middle of my maintenance range.

It can be hard to get into the right mindset for maintenance. For me, having fitness goals and continuing to log really helps. Don't panic, just keep playing around with it. Good luck!

This^^^

A 5-6 pound maintenance range is pretty normal. You might find using a trending app helpful to keep track of your weight trend. Happy Scale is a good one for IOS and Libra is a good one for Android.

Congrats on your awesome loss!
  • sannklinger
    Thanks guys! I do weigh myself about 2x a week to make sure I’m not to fat off track.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    That is a simply stunning accomplishment. The act of maintaining is easy, the implementation can be difficult. If you are super goal driven, it truly does help to work towards something else in the fitness arena for example a half marathon, strength goals or a solid meditation practice are a few ideas.
  • sannklinger
    Thank you, that’s why I have added exercise in. I have never beeen a person to exercise but I feel like losing the weight is only part of the solution to get fit so I’m exercising. Slowly building up.