Alcoholic bodybuilders?

Anyone here engage in serious resistance training who also drinks, like... you know... just about every night?

I am both curious about how many of us are out there, and to pick the brains of those who have attempted this lifestyle.

No need to shame. I understand that excessive drink, or maybe even any, is not conducive to health and fitness.

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    My ex husband is a former competitive body builder who drank significant amounts most nights. He managed to keep a reasonable physique (especially for his age) despite going through a pony keg or so a week, but did it by living on chicken and broccoli and 2-3 hour a day workouts. One of the few people I’ve seen who could put lift his pint glass. No idea about truly ongoing sustainability though. I haven’t seen or spoken to him in years.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Well, it's good to see few responses. Way to be healthy, responsible lifters. I agree that it isn't sustainable. I'm working through the psychology of cutting way back, not just for calories but for the fact that it's poison and will probably kill me or aid something else in doing so.

Gypsy, appreciate the response. I'm like him with the eating, but no 2-3 hour workouts and I'm not even attempting bodybuilding.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I used to drink about a six pack of 8% crafts a night. Some nights I'd go through the equivalent or more of good scotch or rum. For me at least, it really caused some issues with my lifting progress. If there were gains during this time they were minuscule. I was maintaining but that's about the extent of it. That much liquor made it hard to get my macros in balance and in many cases instead of eating food like I should of been doing I was just drinking. I quit the excessive alcohol and my progress exploded. I still drink occasionally - sometimes to excess... but they are rare occasions.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited May 2019
    I drink a couple of glasses of wine almost every night and confess that some days I use it to reach my calorie goal. I'm by no means doing serious body building so am probably not typical but I definitely feel it impacts on my performance, quality of sleep and hydration even with the light workouts I do. If I were serious about making gains, I would cut back
  • bazbo46
    bazbo46 Posts: 1 Member
    I drink every Fri Sat & Sun nights I’d say it’s at least a six pax of beer or 12 sometimes more , I workout and track my macros mon-fri and eat what I want at the weekend including fast foods and chocolate etc , my workouts can be 90min of intense cardio and weights , I’m not a bodybuilder I’m 18-19% body fat and have definition, so I’m in good shape , but the question has always been to myself am I really damaging myself and what would that be or am I doing ok because of the results I see ? Any answers welcome.
  • paulieack
    paulieack Posts: 2 Member
    I use to drink a couple of times a week. Beer. Tequila. Whatever. I have not had a drink in the last 20 days when I started counting Macros. Baz, I hope I can get to the point where I can have a couple of drinks and not gain weight. That is my goal.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    bazbo46 wrote: »
    I drink every Fri Sat & Sun nights I’d say it’s at least a six pax of beer or 12 sometimes more , I workout and track my macros mon-fri and eat what I want at the weekend including fast foods and chocolate etc , my workouts can be 90min of intense cardio and weights , I’m not a bodybuilder I’m 18-19% body fat and have definition, so I’m in good shape , but the question has always been to myself am I really damaging myself and what would that be or am I doing ok because of the results I see ? Any answers welcome.

This is a question for your doctor. I can't imagine that drinking a six pack three days a week is doing good things to, among other things, your liver. Alcoholism or not (I'll leave that up to you and your doctor(s)/mental health care providers to decide), what you're doing is binge drinking. Mind you I'm assuming by "it's at least a six pack of beer or 12 sometimes more" you mean a six pack a night through the weekend.

Here's a handy factsheet from the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    bazbo46 wrote: »

As I understand it, binge drinking a couple of nights a week can do more damage than drinking smaller amounts every day
    UK guidelines are 14 units per week for women, used to be more for men but I believe it's been reduced. The fact that you look and feel OK is probably irrelevant as liver damage isn't felt straightaway.
    I'm not lecturing - as I said in an earlier comment, I know I drink more than is good for me, but you asked if it's damaging you and I'd guess that the answer is, yes, probably, in the longer term.
  • JustinAnimal
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Baz, that's my new revelation. I guess I may have already said this. I just turned 36 and need to bear in mind it isn't just the excess calories, it's the damage.

Anyway, I got wooed five times for my original post? Por que?
    I didn't woo you, but I have been biting my tongue so to speak. I was simply going to point out that drinking excessively doesn't automatically make you an alcoholic, which adds a whole other layer of pain on top of the physical damage done.

Just as an n=1 try not drinking for one month, and not dwelling on it either during that month. Oh, I am one by the way lol, sober a good number of years though.

No offense was intended. I tend to speak in hyperbole. No, I haven't hidden alcohol from my family or drank at work or do many of the things I was taught it took to be a true alcoholic. I apologize if the terminology was offensive. I am truly not one, although I believe I have some serious tendencies.

Again, I didn't mean to diminish your experience or make light of an actual disease. I have done sober months, but there is always a lot of dwelling and usually a cheat evening or two. I guess that's one of the reasons I feel I have a problem.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Baz, that's my new revelation. I guess I may have already said this. I just turned 36 and need to bear in mind it isn't just the excess calories, it's the damage.

I didn't woo you, but I have been biting my tongue so to speak. I was simply going to point out that drinking excessively doesn't automatically make you an alcoholic, which adds a whole other layer of pain on top of the physical damage done.

Just as an n=1 try not drinking for one month, and not dwelling on it either during that month. Oh, I am one by the way lol, sober a good number of years though.

No offense was intended. I tend to speak in hyperbole. No, I haven't hidden alcohol from my family or drank at work or do many of the things I was taught it took to be a true alcoholic. I apologize if the terminology was offensive. I am truly not one, although I believe I have some serious tendencies.

Again, I didn't mean to diminish your experience or make light of an actual disease. I have done sober months, but there is always a lot of dwelling and usually a cheat evening or two. I guess that's one of the reasons I feel I have a problem.

@JustinAnimal Ah man, I didn't mean to come across like I was offended, not at all! Thanks for being thoughtful though...I always approach the topic cautiously because I never know if I'm giving someone something to think about, or if I'm going to just piss them off :D

No, no offense taken at all..I just know that for me personally...all it took was someone unexpected saying something to me about my drinking and it changed everything, so I tend to try to pass that along, that's all.

I hope all goes well for you on your journey, and thanks again for simply being thoughtful about it. :)
  • Rodney_Mckay
    Rodney_Mckay Posts: 32 Member
    Well I never understood from where do people get the willpower to get into the gym hungover. Yet alone do it on daily basis. I always think of this when I'm hungover, how the flying *kitten* do people survive this daily.

9xvmh07u57or.jpg

My take on this is what Carlin said, its like being a paraplegic lap dancer: you CAN do it, but ... :))

There are better stuff in life you can do bro. Take care. <3
  • JustinAnimal

@JustinAnimal Ah man, I didn't mean to come across like I was offended, not at all! Thanks for being thoughtful though...I always approach the topic cautiously because I never know if I'm giving someone something to think about, or if I'm going to just piss them off :D

No, no offense taken at all..I just know that for me personally...all it took was someone unexpected saying something to me about my drinking and it changed everything, so I tend to try to pass that along, that's all.

I hope all goes well for you on your journey, and thanks again for simply being thoughtful about it. :)

You're good, didn't come across as offended. I just like to be careful. I've spoken too freely in the past, assuming people know when I'm joking or not, and it's gotten me into trouble. Better safe than sorry, which is probably my liver's mantra at this point, hoping the sentiment will leak into my subconscious.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

You're good, didn't come across as offended. I just like to be careful. I've spoken too freely in the past, assuming people know when I'm joking or not, and it's gotten me into trouble. Better safe than sorry, which is probably my liver's mantra at this point, hoping the sentiment will leak into my subconscious.

Hoping for the best for ya :)