Currently Pregnant

Trying to not gain too much (Goal is 10-15lbs, and I am already up 5 at 17 weeks) as I already started with a high BMI, but trying to encourage myself to eat better. Anyone on here had a similar situation? Recommendations?

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I would talk to your doctor and find out how much you need to gain for a healthy pregnancy before you make any decisions on how much to gain.
    I know that water levels go up, the placenta itself weighs like 7 lbs, then there's the baby's weight, and blood volume increases by 150%, plus milk production adds weight. There's more factors than that but that's just off the top of my head.
  • It’s in the original post-10-15lbs for BMI over 35...it’s standard of care, the ACOG recommendation and the recommendation of my OB. Thanks though.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    It’s in the original post-10-15lbs for BMI over 35...it’s standard of care, the ACOG recommendation and the recommendation of my OB. Thanks though.

To be fair, you only mentioned that was YOUR goal, not that you had spoken to an OB. Just trying to help.
    Best of luck to you.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,708 MFP Moderator
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. :flowerforyou: 5 pounds in 17 weeks sounds pretty good to me. The new way of thinking is that you're not eating for two. Most of the time the recommendation is to add maybe 300 calories per day over your maintenance calories.

Do you know how much you're currently consuming, and do you know roughly how much you should be consuming to maintain or only gain a little? I ask because you have to know where you're at before you know where you should go. :)

If you're not already doing so, start tracking and logging your foods on MFP as accurately as you can. Weigh the solids in grams and the liquids in milliliters. For the first week or so, don't worry about how many calories it is - you're trying to figure out where you're starting. You can also make sure you're getting enough protein, etc. when you track.

To figure out roughly how much you burn now, plug your info (age, height, weight, activity level) into a calculator like this one: https://tdeecalculator.net For me this number is a bit inflated already, so if I ate at that level I'd gain a small amount of weight over time.

Hope this helps and best wishes to you and baby.
  • Thanks!