Fitness and Diabetics

Options
Hello all, I am a personal trainer and have dealt with all types of clients. This weekend my 60 year old uncle contacted me and wanted me to start training him. Now he has lost toes and wheres a special shoe is diabetes is so bad..he takes 4 shots of a high dose of insulin everyday. I have had diabetic clients but never to this extent. Has anyone here every had someone this high risk or living with this disease? If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Replies

• greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Hello all, I am a personal trainer and have dealt with all types of clients. This weekend my 60 year old uncle contacted me and wanted me to start training him. Now he has lost toes and wheres a special shoe is diabetes is so bad..he takes 4 shots of a high dose of insulin everyday. I have had diabetic clients but never to this extent. Has anyone here every had someone this high risk or living with this disease? If anyone has any suggestions let me know.
  • greekgyrl02
    Options
    BUMP
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

I just was told I have diabetes a month ago and I was not given any real information I did find this website that you could see if it helps

http://www.diabetes.org/all-about-diabetes/diabetes-learning-center.jsp

it has lots of information about health and fitness. Good luck :smile:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    What type of suggestions/info are you looking for - fitness or diabetes/insulin, in general.

My husband is Type 1 Insulin dependent so I can talk pretty intelligently about most aspects of the disease. Unfortunately he is not a huge exercise fan so I don't know much about that, but I have read about several athletes who are diabete and how they manage the disease while playing.

How can I help you?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    bump...

desperately seeking greekgryl02.....
  • greekgyrl02
    Options
    Just what types of exercises are ok, if anything face down or upside down wouldnt be good. What the normal blood sugar should be etc