Cluttered UI

Options
dogWalkerTX
dogWalkerTX Posts: 49 Member
New here and not enamored with the UI. Anyone else think it's cluttered?

I guess I shouldn't complain since it's free, but I'd heard such good things and I'm feeling disappointed.

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Are you using the app or the desktop version? The desktop version is remarkably un-cluttered IMO. The app is good for some things, but the home feed is full of ads.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Nope, I think it's just fine and I'm very happy with it ☺️
  • dogWalkerTX
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Are you using the app or the desktop version? The desktop version is remarkably un-cluttered IMO. The app is good for some things, but the home feed is full of ads.

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the Android app. Yes, tons of ads -- which is completely fair in a free app.

I wish it were easier to track calories though. Maybe the recipe import feature will come in handy later. For now, I wish it were simpler to eat something and subtract the calories and see calories remaining without specifying the food or the meal. Too many clicks are needed.

Community feature is great and I appreciate the feedback.
  • Kathryn247
    Options
    @dogWalkerTX Did you notice the "quick add" feature? It's under the three dots on the right-hand side for each meal. You can just add the calories without specifying the food.

I don't use it myself, because all of the stuff I usually eat is already in there to choose from and I let MFP do the math. If I have 14 grams of cheese (which is 28g/svg), I find that in my list and enter 0.5 servings, and it calculates the calories and macros for me.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You can turn off the blog posts in the feed on the app. That helps to declutter it a lot.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @MikePTY how do you do that? I'm looking through the settings and don't see a way to turn them off? (Running iOS)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    ""Privacy Center->Sharing and Privacy Settings->News Feed Sharing" and scroll to the bottom. UNCHECK There are new articles from the MyFitnessPal blog as well as There are new videos from the MyFitnessPal blog."
  • dogWalkerTX
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    @dogWalkerTX Did you notice the "quick add" feature? It's under the three dots on the right-hand side for each meal. You can just add the calories without specifying the food.

I don't use it myself, because all of the stuff I usually eat is already in there to choose from and I let MFP do the math. If I have 14 grams of cheese (which is 28g/svg), I find that in my list and enter 0.5 servings, and it calculates the calories and macros for me.

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted!
  • dogWalkerTX
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You can turn off the blog posts in the feed on the app. That helps to declutter it a lot.

Thanks! Big help!
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If you are on Android, there is a Myfitnesspal widget you can add to your phone home screen that will display your current remaining calories and also has a + button and a barcode button both for adding stuff straight from there. If you click the barcode icon it immediately takes you into the scanner - super duper fast. If you click the calories it takes you straight to your food diary too. This is the only way I ever access the app.

Here's how to add it: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1404270-how-do-i-install-android-myfitnesspal-widget-
  • dogWalkerTX
    Options
    If you are on Android, there is a Myfitnesspal widget you can add to your phone home screen that will display your current remaining calories and also has a + button and a barcode button both for adding stuff straight from there. If you click the barcode icon it immediately takes you into the scanner - super duper fast. If you click the calories it takes you straight to your food diary too. This is the only way I ever access the app.

Here's how to add it: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1404270-how-do-i-install-android-myfitnesspal-widget-

Thanks!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've looked at the 'Home' tab for longer than a few seconds in the app, well, ever really. I only use the app to enter food (I do this thing on a PC) so as soon as the app launches I immediately click on the 'Diary' tab and get to logging.
  • dogWalkerTX
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I don't think I've looked at the 'Home' tab for longer than a few seconds in the app, well, ever really. I only use the app to enter food (I do this thing on a PC) so as soon as the app launches I immediately click on the 'Diary' tab and get to logging.

Thanks!

In general, I'm not really enjoying MFP. There's too much stuff everywhere. For example, I dont want an extra click or two to enter 100 cals. I ate a bananna. I don't even want to record the bananna. Just want to subtract the 100 and see cals remaining.

The recipe import feature looks useful and I may use that later for cooking. For now, it's pen and paper. Or use a far simpler app I found for Android. I only care about calories. Not tracking fat, carbs, or anything else. Just calories. My phone's calculator would work perfectly if it weren't so easy to clear by mistake. Simply texting myself calories remaining will work too.

Glad MFP works for so many others and I hope this note helps someone else with a mindset similar to mine.
  • Kathryn247
    Options
    @dogWalkerTX the benefit of the database is that you don't have to remember how many calories are in each type of food. You weigh your banana and enter the number of grams, then MFP calculates the calories for you based on what it weighs. You enter the kind of bread you usually eat once, then every time you have that kind of bread you enter the grams and MFP tells you how many calories it was.
    How do you know your banana is 100 calories? Are you weighing your food? (I kind of suspect you aren't.) If you aren't weighing your food, you could be eating a LOT more calories than you think.
    I hope that helps explain how MFP works, good luck with however you decide to go forward!