Those last 20 pounds

Options
amirahdaboss
amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello all!

I was just wondering how long it took you all to lose your final 20 pounds, because I seem to be losing at an abnormally fast rate
Thanks

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Wait until you need to lose that last 5-10 pounds, because that is the hardest.
  • amirahdaboss
    Options
    not looking forward to that lol
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    UGH tell me about it! LOL I'm at my last 13 and it's SO SLOW
  • amirahdaboss
    Options
    i suppose its worth it if they stay off afterwards though
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    it sounds very encouraging! Keep at it!
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I got stuck about 6 pounds away from my final goal, and was within that amount by 2 lbs for almost 2 months! But I actually upped my calories and changed my bike commute, and I'm losing again. Plus, I took almost a full week off from my regular cardio and just did like one short run and a few easy bike rides, and rested a lot.

Keep in mind that statistically losing .5 to 1 lb per week is the rate at which you are most likely to keep it off. A lot of people aim for 2 lbs or more, but there's no rush (especially if you're already in a healthy BMI). Making changes a little at a time will be how you change your lifestyle permanently, and that's the real goal, right? ;) For most people. But if you're losing quickly and don't feel bad, and aren't starving yourself, maybe your body is just getting to what it considers 'normal.' I gained weight super fast when I first went to college (about 30 lbs--yikes!), but it came off at a rate of nearly a half a pound a day for a long time when I went back to a normal eating/working/sleeping schedule. Just be safe and happy! :D
  • HanaEhab7
    HanaEhab7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    UGH tell me about it! LOL I'm at my last 13 and it's SO SLOW

Me too! I have 16 lbs left and this week I only lost 0.4 lbs! IS THAT NORMAL? My calorie deficit is 600!
  • amirahdaboss
    Options
    well i got 19..
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My last 10-15 came off relatively easy. I got 10-12 to go. We'll see.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Working on that now, I think it will be several months, guessing from now to next March or so. Did you switch things up to lose quickly now? I have been eating more or less at maintenance also not exercising as much (due to summer and kids) hoping it comes off a bit quicker when I go back to a bigger deficit in the fall, I have sort of given myself a break of nearly a full year of "dieting" or eating at a deficit.
  • ddjjpm
    ddjjpm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have 20 to go also! I am really hoping it doesn't take forever. We shall see!
  • jentris
    jentris Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Me too! 20ish to go. I have hit a new plateau. I know that my body likes to "reset" it's base weight every 20 lbs or so and then stay there for awhile.

My plan is to mix things up a bit. Start lifting more and see if that helps. We shall see.

Even if I don't lose another ounce, I am still happy. My total lost is 80 pounds and when I look at it that way I don't get quite as stressed about the last 20. They'll come off....even if it takes me another year!
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I'm on my last 20 lbs and I've only lost 2 lbs in the past 5 weeks after previously losing 1 lb a week. I'm taking a 2 week planned diet break to eat at maintenance to see if my body sorts itself out. Not had a break longer than a week (and that was only once!) since January so I think my hormones are a bit fluffed up.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • amirahdaboss
    Options
    ouch, doesnt sound very fun
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in late March to finally lose that 30 lbs that I have been carrying around for 10 years (My highest weight was 240 and I slowly lost most of it) I, like you, had crazy-fast results! The weight fell off me. Every time I got on the scale I was down a pound! That kept up for 20 lbs. Then, 6 weeks later, I haven't lost a thing, not event .5 of a pound. My goal is 10-15 more, and man-oh-man the skinny gods are making me work for it! My husband even says "just be happy where you are - you look great" and in fact I am thinner than I've been in 22 years. But I'm a fighter, and fight I am. Every day.

So enjoy the rapid loss while the gift is yours. It will stop. Then you can join the club of "How did you lose that last 15 lbs..." like a million other of us trying :tongue:
  • amirahdaboss
    Options
    lol judging by everyone elses stories, that might take a few years :)
This discussion has been closed.