Visualizing the fat you lost

Options
The scale say you lost 10lbs, from limiting what you eat and exercise... but how much is that? Here are everyday items to help you picture it.

A ream of paper (2.5"x8.5"x11") takes up about the same amount of space as 6.31 lbs of fat.

* 12.62 lbs of fat = 2 reams
* 18.93 lbs of fat = 3 reams
* 25.24 lbs of fat = 4 reams
* 31.55 lbs of fat = 5 reams
* 50.48 lbs of fat = 8 reams
* 63.1 lbs of fat = 10 reams

1 US gallon of milk takes up the same space as 7.8lbs of fat --- (231 cubic inches, or 3,785cc)
20lbs of fat is the same size as 2.56/gal of milk --- (591 cubic inches)

* 2gal = 15.6 lbs
* 3gal = 23.4 lbs
* 4gals = 31.2 lbs
* 5gals = 39 lbs

1 lb of fat is 29.05 cubic inches, or a cube 3.09 inches on each side
1 lb of muscle is 23.89 cubic inches, or a cube 2.88 inches on each side

Stack up the 5 dice in Yahtzee (The big dice, the ones that are about 1" on each side)... that is about the difference in size between the two.

So if you lose 10 lbs of fat, and gain 10 lbs of muscle, the scale says you weigh the same, but you will be 50-ish dice (51.6 cubic inches) smaller.

1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06kg (2.30lbs) -- or 1.1 g/mL

1 liter of fat weighs 0.90kg (1.98lbs) -- or 0.9 g/mL.

1 liter of water weighs 1.00kg (2.20lbs) -- or 1 g/mL - muscle sinks, fat floats

1 lb of fat uses 2-3cals per day just as a normal part of functioning.

1 lb of muscle burns 7-10cals per day just as a normal part of functioning.

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    haha i love this.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I used to like going to the grocery store and grab a bunch of 1lb packages of butter to see how much fat I've lost. I'd look a little crazy now holding 46 packages of butter but it would be fun to do!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    To visualize how much I have lost I just look at a healthy weight average height man.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    25kg of butter looks like this.
    jbnfcuf6snoc.jpeg
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Carrying a 40 lb bag of dog food reminds me I no longer have to carry that much weight everywhere I go.
  • supermary_mn
    supermary_mn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to like going to the grocery store and grab a bunch of 1lb packages of butter to see how much fat I've lost. I'd look a little crazy now holding 46 packages of butter but it would be fun to do!

Try the Crisco 5lb cans! B)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I wrestled a 40 pound bag of dog food into my cart the other day and it dawned on me I used to carry more than three of those around on a daily basis (as in I lost more than 125 pounds). It was a really cool realization.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Try the Crisco 5lb cans! B)

That's a good idea LOL!