Do you change your macros on rest days ??

Options
Mine is just set to
50 carbs
30 fat
20 protein
At the moment and I've been trying to keep that, but today I'm gonna have a rest as I had a good run yesterday, should I try and cut fat out more today or anything ?

Replies

• 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine macros are: 20C, 30F, 50P. My humble opinion is yes reduce carbs on rest days. I lift weights, 3 heavy days, 2 moderate days, 2 light days. I have found that I can not cut out anymore carbs and be functional with a calorie deficiency. Once I lose about another 15 pounds I am going increase my carbs and try to maintain my weight. I do bump up my calories and carbs on heavy weight lifting days. It will be interesting what others have to say who really exercise faithfully and track macros and not those who are getting their info off of a website.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to adjust your macros on off days. I keep everything the same.

However some people find that they may benefit from more protein intake. So depending on your workout goals, you may want to up your protein percentage to get more protein as part of your regular macros. I use 25% to get about 150 grams a day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I try to get enough protein (by grams not percent) and let everything else fall where it may.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't do percentages partly as it's needlessly restrictive and partly as my daily calorie needs change enormously day to day - percentages of a varied calorie goal make less sense than if you have a fixed daily calorie goal.

I pay attention to my protein goal (in grams) but otherwise I'm only really focussed on macros on the day of an event or a very long cycle ride for fuelling needs - high carb, adequate protein, low'ish fat.

What are you actually trying to achieve by changing macros on a rest day? It's not apparent to me what benefit that would give.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    I personally do not adjust my macros for rest days, just stay consistent across the board regardless of training vs. off day.

I do change them for my deload week though.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you and what works best for you. I calorie/carb cycle so I do. On rest days my calories drop... I lower my carbs significantly, I also lower my fat a bit and keep protein high.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Personally I give the majority of my attention to protein intake(190g). This is considered suboptimal for me and the bare minimum for my age, health, and goal.

Calories I generally don't count though I have a idea. I feel dropping or upping our calories/macros not very useful outside of a upcoming event or high stress week of training.

Muscle protein synthesis takes place on our rest days perhaps more than our training days so I don't see the point to give my body less bricks to build with.

I would keep you fat consumption about .4 per lb of body weight.