any successful picky eaters/super tasters?

Options
ddky
ddky Posts: 381 Member
I am trying to help someone lose weight but the list of foods she will eat is very short. She says she believes she is a "super taster" and can't tolerate the taste of many foods. Basically she only eats bland foods. Unfortunately, those are high calorie carb foods. She eats bread, cheese, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, bananas, apples, etc. She doesn't like berries or citrus fruits. Most veggies are no. She will sometimes eat sweet potatoes. If she has a salad it is only iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots. Do you think will lose weight eating all these carbs as long as she watches the calories? She also doesn't eat any meats. She will eat an egg white omelet with cheese. Is it hopeless? I hope not. She is obese and does want to lose weight. She just can't seem to make herself eat the healthier foods. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    My father is the same. Meat and potatoes, iceburg lettuce, MAYBE mandarin oranges. I disn't understand him until I had a son diagnosed a super-taster / problem eater with severe textural issies with food. Had to go through six months of therapy just to get off baby food.

Will she do smoothies? Vitamix blenders can really get the pulp/seeds grinded up.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I think she could succeed on a very strict, preplanned menu with the help of a nutritionist. I think a lot of people like this eat out a lot for SOME kind of variety, which ups the fats/calories a ton. If she had a few pre written menus for the day and did not stray from it, add chips or cookies, etc it could work. Would have to measure out the items, especially things like potato. Trouble can also come in adding butter, etc.
  • ddky
    Options
    My father is the same. Meat and potatoes, iceburg lettuce, MAYBE mandarin oranges. I disn't understand him until I had a son diagnosed a super-taster / problem eater with severe textural issies with food. Had to go through six months of therapy just to get off baby food.

Will she do smoothies? Vitamix blenders can really get the pulp/seeds grinded up.

I'm glad you mentioned the texture thing. That is something she says a lot "I don't like the texture". She just got a nutribullet. She said maybe she could drink it fast and get it down. I think she has only done it a couple of times. I hope it will help her get some nutrition. Tonight I fixed her minestrone soup. She did eat that. I don't think she was crazy about it, but she ate it. That was pretty healthy. So today was pretty good. She had cereal and almond milk for breakfast, peanut butter sandwich and an apple for lunch, minestrone soup and crackers for supper and almonds for a snack. So I think that was a pretty good day. I'm just running low on ideas. Thanks for your input.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Send them to a 3rd world country and see how picky they become.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Is she on myfitnesspal? Just have her pre-log her calories.... Nutrition doesn't really make a lot of difference when you are obese. Calories in and calories out are all that matters at this point in her journey. Let her eat mac and cheese and bread with an apple or banana thrown in for good measure! : )
  • ddky
    Options
    Is she on myfitnesspal? Just have her pre-log her calories.... Nutrition doesn't really make a lot of difference when you are obese. Calories in and calories out are all that matters at this point in her journey. Let her eat mac and cheese and bread with an apple or banana thrown in for good measure! : )

She doesn't have internet at her house, so I am tracking for her. She is on week two and staying under her calorie target. I love food, just about all food. It's hard for me to understand eating so few foods. I will help her for as long as she is willing.
  • usmcwifeall4me
    Options

I agree...have her watch the portion sizes...it has helped me a lot, instead of having the whole box of mac and cheese follow the portion size...it really does help without depriving yourself
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    yeah im kinda picky, but not as severe, so i do understand the sensitivity to taste.

however, she NEEDS some foods because without it her body wont get it. And a vitamin pill does not really ideally replace the real food and getting the nutrients that way.

She might like to pick at food, but she needs to decide that she is going to be more mature and make a choice to eat some foods she may turn her nose up. I dont mean that to insult her, but thats what she needs to do. We all mature and do things which scare us, but we do it because that is what an adult does.

In the meantime, she may have to have food hidden in other food, like when people mash up zucchini and make zucchini bread, it really tastes good and you cant tell zucchini is in there, (i.e. when people say I hate zucchini, but in that bread they love it.

She should try a new item maybe once a week, but try it a few times, because that is how long it will take to enjoy a new food. And not give up the first time she tries it, but keep on till she loves it. And who knows, she may discover a good food that she previously rejected.

if she is in the mindframe that she is a picky eater, then she needs to change that and not put herself in an eating wheelchair for example. (she has handicapped herself by her attitude); she has to now change that and describe herself with a new label, or else she is like aperson stuck in a wheelchair instead of learning to walk. the person learning to walk might feel discomfort, but each time he/she tries, she gets one more step closer to freedom.

same thing with your friend.

Oh i forgot to say, that as long as she eats what she likes, she is in a comfort zone. Rejecting some new foods is an excuse to stay in that comfort zone. She needs to know that staying in there is just an excuse. She has fooled herself into thinking she wont like new foods. Its a way for her to stay fat, because its less painful to be fatg and eating whatever than to go thru a little bit of discomfort of changing her eating. Like a bird in a cage who cant fly,, not very much fun and enjoyment of life in that cage, though the bird is safe.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am trying to help someone lose weight but the list of foods she will eat is very short. She says she believes she is a "super taster" and can't tolerate the taste of many foods. Basically she only eats bland foods. Unfortunately, those are high calorie carb foods. She eats bread, cheese, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, bananas, apples, etc. She doesn't like berries or citrus fruits. Most veggies are no. She will sometimes eat sweet potatoes. If she has a salad it is only iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots. Do you think will lose weight eating all these carbs as long as she watches the calories? She also doesn't eat any meats. She will eat an egg white omelet with cheese. Is it hopeless? I hope not. She is obese and does want to lose weight. She just can't seem to make herself eat the healthier foods. Thanks for any input.
    I'm very similar. My list of edible vegetables consists of broccoli and carrots. I love citrus and some berries but they don't like me so I can't eat them so I'm basically left with apples and bananas and an occasional strawberry. I do however eat meat and fish. It sounds like she'd want to count calories (of course) and also I'd say try to hit daily macro (fat/protein) targets because it will help her find a set of foods that aren't all carbs.

The first thing to do though is count calories. If she's willing to do that she can lose weight. Start counting first, log everything for a week or two, before trying to restrict foods at all. That will give her an idea where her calories are coming from and some places she can work on improving her intake whether it's portion sizes or some specific thing (for example drinking tons of high calorie pop) that's putting her over.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I used to be an extremely picky eater, and people were always pushing me to try new things, and I would try things on occasion but I'd usually end up spitting them back out in disgust. When I finally got serious about my health, I pushed myself to try things I never liked before whether because of taste or texture. I still didn't like them at first, but there are so many things I used to think were totally disgusting, and after pushing myself to keep trying those healthy things, now I love a lot of them and don't know how I ever went without! It's not everything, there are still things I'm certain I'll never like, but there's a much greater variety to my diet now than ever before.

So, I think there's hope for your friend when it comes to eating healthier, but you pushing her to do so isn't going to help. She has to push herself. In the meantime, I would suggest just helping her to cut down on portions to eat a healthier amount of calories and to exercise more. If she's really serious about change, she'll eventually take matters into her own hands.
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Your friend can eat a lot more foods than my son can. He has EPE/SED (Extreme Picky Eating/Selective Eating Disorder) of which being a super taster and having a heightened sense of smell is just a part. All a person like that can do is track calories, macros, etc. (We track to make sure our son continues to gain weight and get enough nutrients in.)

As for the asshats (not the OP) who think this kind of REAL eating disorder can be solved simply by forcing the person to eat whatever you think they should, stop judging others and get educated. These people WILL STARVE if not given foods their brains say are safe. Our son's growth slowed down to practically nothing for two years before he was diagnosed and it took months to get him growing again. (Long story that I've shared here before.)
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

As for the asshats (not the OP) who think this kind of REAL eating disorder can be solved simply by forcing the person to eat whatever you think they should, stop judging others and get educated. These people WILL STARVE if not given foods their brains say are safe. Our son's growth slowed down to practically nothing for two years before he was diagnosed and it took months to get him growing again. (Long story that I've shared here before.)

Hi - I hope you didn't mean me as an "asshat" because I am encouraging the friend of the OP to make an effort to change.

i agree with you that the person with an eating disorder has to him/herself make the choice to change, but gentle encouragement is not being an asshat, instead, feeling sorry for them and keeping them handicapped is doing them a harm. The OP is trying to gently encourage her friend, so that is good.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Tell them tough. Time to get over it. I would love to eat nothing but ice cream and pop tarts smeared with nutella, but I'm an adult and I realize you can't always do what you want in life.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My husband started out eating no fruit and absolutely no vegetables other than beans or potatoes and he had an issue with the textures of foods, and then he just realized that he was going to just have to eat it or nothing was going to change now, he will eat pretty much any vegetable I put in front of him as far as fruits, he now loves mangos, kiwi, pineapple, pears, he will eat blueberries in a smoothie and we still have a ton more new fruits and vegetables to try honestly she really is just going to have to make herself try and push herself to like them if you eat foods enough for the most part you will eventually start to like them I love fruits and vegetables but there were still some things I had a hard time with and now some of those foods are my favorites
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem (but I eat meat). For me, 99% percent of this is less tast and more texture. For example, I like the way green pepers taste and smell but the texture is dang near impossible to choke down. The best advice I can give is to mince and puree to bulk the food she is already eating. In almost any recipe you can substitue some of the water for puree vegetables that have a high water content. I totally agree witht the iceburg lettace thing. What you said is exactly my salad with some cheese. I switched to 2% sharp cheddar because you get more flavor with less and the fat content is lower. I basically eat all my old foods but with portion control. I am hungry sometimes but I drink water to get through it. Also, I try a new thing a week. I usually don't like it but at least then I know. Last week was Hummas and I can't figure out for the life of me how that caught on....:sick: So that's my story... open to questions if you have any OP.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Please be careful. It sounds like you are investing a lot of energy and time into her weight loss. To a certain extent, if she is an adult, she needs to take the responsibility for herself or this cannot work.
    It sounds like you are going above and beyond the call of duty as her friend and I wish you both huge success!
  • ddky
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I don't think that a lot of people know what a supertaster is. It is actually a physical thing. They have A LOT more taste buds than the average person so a lot of tastes are overwhelming to them. Some people have suggested that she just needs to decide to eat better. In a way, that would be like telling a normal person they are just going to have to learn to eat raw jalapenos. Although, I do think some of it is a mental thing there is a real physical component. We actually did this test we found on the internet where you use food dye to dye the tongue so you can count the taste buds. She had way more than I did. She is doing good about measuring her foods and staying within her calorie goal. It just seems hard for me to believe she can actually lose weight while eating pizza and macaroni and cheese, but as long as she keeps watching her portions I am hopeful. Thanks again.
  • ddky
    Options
    Please be careful. It sounds like you are investing a lot of energy and time into her weight loss. To a certain extent, if she is an adult, she needs to take the responsibility for herself or this cannot work.
    It sounds like you are going above and beyond the call of duty as her friend and I wish you both huge success!

This is the south. There is no such thing as "above and beyond" for family or friend who ask for your help. It is in our DNA. But she is making a real effort. Thanks for your good wishes.
  • ddky
    Options
    I have this exact same problem (but I eat meat). For me, 99% percent of this is less tast and more texture. For example, I like the way green pepers taste and smell but the texture is dang near impossible to choke down. The best advice I can give is to mince and puree to bulk the food she is already eating. In almost any recipe you can substitue some of the water for puree vegetables that have a high water content. I totally agree witht the iceburg lettace thing. What you said is exactly my salad with some cheese. I switched to 2% sharp cheddar because you get more flavor with less and the fat content is lower. I basically eat all my old foods but with portion control. I am hungry sometimes but I drink water to get through it. Also, I try a new thing a week. I usually don't like it but at least then I know. Last week was Hummas and I can't figure out for the life of me how that caught on....:sick: So that's my story... open to questions if you have any OP.

Thanks so much. I see that you have lost almost 60 pounds. That's what I was looking for. People who have been successful at weight loss while eating foods that are less than ideal.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Send them to a 3rd world country and see how picky they become.

:laugh: yup