How to Not Use Food as Comfort

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
I was given some bad news. Then some worse news. Then everything came crashing down. I then got sent home from work for being a mess.

Tell me why I shouldn't just sit here and eat chocolate all day.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Why not try exercising to eliminate the tension from stress rather than eating your feelings?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Why not try exercising to eliminate the tension from stress rather than eating your feelings?

Because I can't stop crying. It's hard to see.

Maybe in a while I'll be able to.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having such a terrible day! As someone who eats her feelings, I'm telling you not to do it because you know it won't actually make you feel better. It won't even mask the feelings from the bad news. In fact it might make you feel worse because you have been working so hard to stop this habit.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What's chocolate going to do? It won't fix your problems. If you eat it all day, it's going to make you sick. Tomorrow your stress will all still be there and you'll be mad at yourself for eating all day.

I mean, eat it if you want. One day isn't going to kill you. But overindulging isn't actually comforting you, it's just allowing you to ignore your problems for a while. Find something to do that will leave you feeling better about yourself, not worse.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with some awfulness right now. You're worth it not to eat the chocolate. You are doing well and you'll only feel way worse if you do. No one will blame you if you do, but you should try to make it easier on yourself. You're going through some stuff, best not to make it harder to recover emotionally.

I hope everything works out for you and you're able to look after yourself the way you deserve. We're pulling for you!
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, gentle hugs if you want them. I know I don't have complete control over my emotional eating but what helps is telling myself that giving in will not make me feel better, in fact it'll probably pile on more crappy emotions.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    You're going through a rough time. If this happens a lot, I'd suggest figuring something out to help you handle the stress better so you don't have to reach for food. However, if it's rare, take the day. Either way, take today, eat what you want but try not to make yourself sick. Just don't make yourself more miserable by trying not to eat food when you haven't had as much practice not eating food under more normal stressful situations. This is a bad one, some food and some sleep will help and you'll have a clearer head in the morning even if the situation hasn't resolved yet, and you can start practicing then. Take the day for your own sake.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry it's that tough today. We all have those days, and it sucks. Take care of yourself.

As for longer term plans to avoid eating for comfort/stress relief...I think tracking calories here helps me to know where I am hunger wise, so I can really say to myself, "Yes, you've got calories left and are probably hungry. Eat" versus, "You're just stressed. If you really want chocolate/tacos tomorrow, go for it and have it for lunch. Plan it and enjoy it, don't eat it while driving at 10 pm & feeling sad". I know about this from long term stress of anxiety disorder and being a caregiver to my parent. It's a real thing and it's worth planning around when you possibly can.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey. I'm so sorry life has been so hard to you. I'm glad you opened up to us.

I actually suggest make comfort food work FOR you. Make yourself some tea. Make some mashed potatoes and meatloaf or whatever...these foods are nourishing and in moderation are perfectly fine. And they feel good because they are good!

Just don't get into the chocolate, chips, fast food, etc. Go for real comfort food instead.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your bad news is but if your crying and were sent home from work it must be bad. I am very sorry for that. In my opinion, eating chocolate isn't the worst thing to do when you feel out of control. Overeating and not eating are ways some of us get some sense of control in our lives when a crisis is thrown upon us.

Reach out to your friends and faith ..and know that time will help.