Profile settings

jdubbes
jdubbes Posts: 2 Member
I clean and serve food at a spa. If I'm burning anywhere from 450 to 700 calories at my job. Alot of stairs and sometimes power walking. Would I set it at Active or Very Active? Thanks!

Replies

• jdubbes
    jdubbes Posts: 2 Member
    Trying to gain weight. I've lost weight working here.
  • beerdedbastard
    beerdedbastard Posts: 641 Member
    If you don't get any exercise outside of work, I would set your activity level at Lightly Active.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you don't get any exercise outside of work, I would set your activity level at Lightly Active.

The activity setting has nothing to do with purposeful exercise, completely separate entities.
  • beerdedbastard
    edited May 2019
    sijomial wrote: »

The activity setting has nothing to do with purposeful exercise, completely separate entities.

Still factors into how mfp calculates your intake. Or do they ask just because they're nosey?
  • sijomial
    edited May 2019
    sijomial wrote: »

Still factors into how mfp calculates your intake. Or do they ask just because they're nosey?

@beerdbastard

What you set your weekly exercise goal to has no impact at all on your calorie goal - it's just a vague intention, like "I will brush my teeth 3 times a day". ;)

This site only accounts for your exercise after you have actually done it, that's when you log and estimate your exercise calorie and that estimate get added to that day's goal. A variable daily goal.
    If your goals already factored exercise in to the activity setting it would be double counting to log it and add the calories.

TDEE sites on the other hand multiply your estimated BMR by a combined activity and exercise multiplier so that you get an estimated average included in a same every day goal. A bit more of a vague estimate as you are guessing your adherence to your plan, plus the actual duration and intensity. Suits people who have a regular routine or simply like a fixed daily goal.
  • beerdedbastard
    Activity level and weekly exercise goals are entered separately. So they ask for the normal daily activity level to be nosey and not to help determine how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Gotcha.
  • sijomial
    Activity level and weekly exercise goals are entered separately. So they ask for the normal daily activity level to be nosey and not to help determine how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Gotcha.

No!
    They ask your activity setting (whether your average daily routine is sedentary, lightly active, active etc.) to use as a multiplier of your BMR to give you a calorie goal for a non-exercise day.

It's the exercise goal that doesn't contribute to your daily calorie goal.
  • beerdedbastard
    edited May 2019
    There you go. I'll admit that my original response to the op was poorly worded. It's still important, however, for them to choose the appropriate daily activity level to help determine their TDEE. I should've left off the part about additional exercise without expanding upon it.