3x5 + cardio vs. 5x5 for Stronglifts

I'm in my early 40s, my BMI is around 30 (5'8 205). I'm down around 30 pounds from my max weight and then I plateaued (lost using diet and some cardio). I still have some weight to lose obviously. After plateauing I started with my own concocted weight training/cardio regiment (dumbbells and machines) for 3 months which was somewhat effective. Then in Feb I started Stronglifts and made some gains that were far superior to my own concocted regime. My ORMs for the 5 exercises have increased after the 3 months but I'm definitely not near full potential: (233, 149, 248, 158, 88 for Squat, bench, deadlift, Row, and OHP respectively).

For the most part I've been advancing and making gains. I find sometimes I can do 4 sets OK but on the 5th set I can't make the 5 reps. I was reading on the Stronglifts site that for "older guys" (I guess I'm one of those!) you can do 3x5 instead. What are the draw backs to 3x5 vs. 5x5 if I'm not at maximal potential? My thought also is that if I switch to 3x5 I could shave off some workout time (and have the energy) to do some cardio since it will help with fat loss. Although, from a purely "what feels good" standpoint I'm perfectly happy just putting all my energy into lifting 5x5 each session and calling it a day. While I realize my numbers are not impressive overall I'm amazed that I'm able to carry more than my body weight on my shoulders or pull it up from the ground! Am I doing myself a disservice if I just stick with weight training for the next 3 months or so and then reassess about including cardio? Is it possible to get fitness from just weights? I've had no weight loss but definitely lost inches and reconditioned my body.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hence why I'm not a fan of Mehdi or any program that auto drops volume because of a arbitrary number of age(Hello Mr. Baker).

Reducing volume from 5×5 to 3×5 is not logical thinking and goes against the basics of progressive overload 101.

One doesn't reduce volume to progress, one increases with relation to intensity that you "can" recover from.

The problem you are having is you are at the end of a novice stage of a linear progression. Where you simply can't recover from session to session. This is absolutely normal and means you need more advanced programming.

So to answer your question, yes you would being doing a disservice by continuing that program in dropping volume as suggested. This would ultimately mean losing strength.

I suggest you either move to a program such as "The Bridge" which is designed exactly for this situation(completing a novice linear progression). It also includes some cardio to help increase your work capacity.

Or since your goal is losing weight currently. A three or four day hypertrophy program would be a very decent option. Lifting four days would bring your work out time per session down depending if you select the correct one for your level.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Cardio helps with fat loss in the sense that it burns calories. And it burns then faster than lifting, so there's that. But to burn lots, you need to put in time, that's just how the math works out.

If you aren't doing cardio for cardiovascular fitness or for the love of running, cycling, whatever, I wouldn't cut out lifting time for it. I'd try to weave more walking into my day. Because, seriously, if you get up a lot, that can be an extra 500 cal a day. And you tend to feel better.

I'm not really qualified to say much *kitten* 3x5 vs 5x5, and there are some people here who are.

I can briefly tell you my experience. I'm 41, and built kind of like you. I do 5x5 on M, W, F. Mine is similar to SL but I changed it with hello from my PT. I'm not getting ripped like the 20 year olds, but I look a lot better than when I started. :smile: We lose muscle as we age, and I'm pushing that way down the road. My job is such that I can go walk a mile every hour or two. Those are legit calories as reflected by my scale. I get cabin fever and love motion. I ride a road bike about 100 miles in season, which comes to about 8 hours because it's hilly here, don't judge. Out of season, it's more difficult to control my weight, as soon as spring hits it melts away.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    What is your most important goal, lose weight or increase the lift loads by either doing StrongLifts 5x5 as prescribed or something else)? Don't say both please, one likely gets first.
  • dfulgoni
    dfulgoni Posts: 18 Member
    I’d ask a similar question to @pierinifitness... what’s the main thing your after? Is this mainly about strength, body composition, fat loss (guessing this is more important than weight loss)? As far as the programming end of things, I think @Chieflrg is dead on. It’s likely time for a programming change but it would be good to have a feel for what you’re really trying to accomplish.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Fair question @dfulgoni, at this age 64 chapter of my life, my primary goal is to be light, lean and have upper percentile cardiovascular conditioning and strength endurance.

How about you?
  • dfulgoni
    dfulgoni Posts: 18 Member
    Hi @pierinifitness. Sorry for the delayed response, been offline for a few days. Sorry, I originally was directing the question the original post because I was after the same info you were I think. haha

I'm 52. Have always been into fitness but my goals now are primarily focused on staying healthy and fighting old age with every fiber of my being (that could be a little dramatic). Right now, I'm mostly focused on strength and functional training but am looking to get back on the road bike now that the weather is (slowly) slowly improving and likely focus on an endurance event in the fall.

Good to meet you by the way.