Need some guidance if you don't mind.

Options
vnylin
vnylin Posts: 18 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a 59 year old male, 70 inches tall. I was up to 242 lbs and my cholesterol was at the "We need to start you on statins" stage, which I wasn't going to do. So I grabbed my ruck and started humping an hour a day anyway. Lots of chicken, greens, oranges, pretty lean and clean. That got me down to 200 and my cholesterol is good. But I stalled there.

I did go to a dietitian had me doing 5 HIIT's a week, 1800 calories a day, and 2 800 calorie "fasting" days a week. Lot's of water. That got me past 200 but I stalled out again in the 190's. Down to 194, back to 198. Very very frustrating.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a neophyte at this. My dieting and PT experience is 20 years of military service. Very basic "you don't have to like it" school of pain. So running, pushups, sit ups, crunches, flutter kicks, etc. I was never really a weight guy. Plus I retired in 1998 so I've been out of the pt scene for quite awhile. "Glory days" come to mind. :)

Thus, I went to a personal trainer. That helped and she's got me on a decent program mixing cardio and dumbells, and a lot of varied squats. I hit 190 this morning but I'm not doing the fasting anymore. I've been eating 1630 calories a day and working out 3 times a week. But I've been awful tired all the time and the weights seem to be getting heavier so I'm bumping up to 1800 a day and seeing how that goes.

Thoughts? I am completely open to suggestions or guidance. Thanks.

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    When I lifted barbells and started feeling like you describe, heavier feeling weights, it was a sign that a deload and possible one week training vacation was calling. How’s your sleep been?
  • vnylin
    Options
    OK. 6-7 hours when I do my pt. I'm up at 6 to eat and be at the gym by 0700.

What's a deload?
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    vnylin wrote: »
    OK. 6-7 hours when I do my pt. I'm up at 6 to eat and be at the gym by 0700.

What's a deload?

Dropping the weight load you’re currently at in your progressive resistance strength training journey, basically establishing a lighter starting point for next chapter. I’ll let the experts chime in and expand.

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough calories. A good rule of thumb is your weight times 10-12 (not adding in exercise calories burned). So at the very least you should be eating 1900 calories.

Also, are you eating enough carbs to fuel your day?
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @vnylin, what’s your destination goal weight range?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any planned diet breaks to eat at maintenance calories for a week or two? It sounds like you could benefit from this.
  • vnylin
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I don't think you're eating enough calories. A good rule of thumb is your weight times 10-12 (not adding in exercise calories burned). So at the very least you should be eating 1900 calories.

Also, are you eating enough carbs to fuel your day?

I've bumped up to 1880 a day. I am using the macros to track it so I think so.

@vnylin, what’s your destination goal weight range?

175-180 ish?
    Are you eating back exercise calories?

I am now.
    Have you taken any planned diet breaks to eat at maintenance calories for a week or two? It sounds like you could benefit from this.

I'm not sure how to figure that out. What all does that entail?