Tips For "Mouth Breathers"

Options
anl90
anl90 Posts: 928 Member
Hi all,

I have wanted for a while now to get into running. One of the things I have read as far as tips go, is to breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth while doing so. However, I have issues with my nose, to where it is extremely hard for me to breathe through my nose. SO. My question is: does anyone have any suggestions around this? I know it is not my only struggle, but I feel like it is one of my bigger obstacles with getting into running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Mouth breathing is fine. The only reason most people recommend to breathe through your nose is that it forces you to consciously control your breathing and (more often than not) slow down your pace.
  • ksamp39
    ksamp39 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been running for along time and always have just breathed through my mouth right from the diaphragm department get more in lol! Surely do what’s comfortable and works for you 😊
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just breathe thru my mouth. i am chronically stuffy.
    it hasn't been an issue
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have chronic rhinitis. I always run breathing through my mouth. As stated above, breathing through your nose will force you to slow down, but isn't necessary for running.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I don’t have any airway issues, when I started running I did the nose breathing because it was supposedly the correct way. It worked fine but it was annoying to have to constantly be conscious of breathing this way. I eventually just defaulted to mouth breathing because I didn’t have to think about it and it seemed like I got more air in that way anyway. Do whatever works for you... and happy running :)
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback! :)
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If I'm running a very easy run, and it's going smoothly - I can typically breath in through my nose and out through my mouth without paying attention. However, I mostly run breathing in and exhaling out through my mouth. Haven't had any kind of problems with it.

:smile:
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The next time I breathe thru my nose when running will be the first time. :smiley:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    “Nose breathing” is mostly a runner’s affectation. Physiologically, the harder one exercises, the more air you have to move through the system. Mechanically, it is not possible to achieve sufficient ventilation with nose breathing alone during intense exercise.
  • CoreyLust
    CoreyLust Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nose breathing is a terrible idea. Your just reducing oxygen intake. Just mouth breath.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My x-country coach taught me to breathe in with nose AND mouth for maximum oxygen.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Deviated septum and years of allergies and sinus infections make it uncomfortable to breathe at volume through my nose. Mouth breathers unite!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My nose always runs when I run or ride, so mouth breathing it is. Also, I carry a snot rag.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My x-country coach taught me to breathe in with nose AND mouth for maximum oxygen.

At the same time? Is that even physically possible? I'm not sure I can do it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am a mouth breather, and to help keep my pace I do my multiplication tables in my head. When I can't concentrate on them, I am pushing too hard
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My nose always runs when I run or ride, so mouth breathing it is. Also, I carry a snot rag.

Mine too! I just rocket and wipe whatever ends up on my face on my shirt. Gross, I know, but it beats carrying a rag and I'm going to wash the clothes anyway.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Mine too! I just rocket and wipe whatever ends up on my face on my shirt. Gross, I know, but it beats carrying a rag and I'm going to wash the clothes anyway.

Someone in a hiking group once asked what people did about this. Long sleeves, right?
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Yep. But to tell the truth, if the OP needs to be breathing that hard on an everyday run, he's going wayyyyyyyyyy too fast.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Mouth breather here! 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Just be careful not to run through a swarm of gnats. Ask me how I know.....