Women doing 5x5 Stronglifts? Wanna be buddies?

Options
Hi all, I've wanted to get into lifting for YEARS and have been hindered by a knee injury for the last 2 years. However I am joining the gym on monday and came accross the stronglifts 5x5 program and thoguht it looked super straight forward to follow as a beginner.

Any other women following this plan want to be buddies and track lifting progress together?

Replies

• Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've done the program in the past and just started again this week. I like how simple it is and easy to follow.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Well, simple in SOME ways ;) I'm still struggling with the overhead press!
  • Frenchgrad
    Frenchgrad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just started this program as well. I also love how easy the program is to follow. I feel like I’m on the right track using it, especially with the weight increases built in.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Well, simple in SOME ways ;) I'm still struggling with the overhead press!

Haha, yes I meant simple as in not too much going on and a simple structure!
  • zuzanao
    zuzanao Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What were your results? I am about to start my Strong Lifts journey.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I've done it. I like it because of its simplicity and also because it works. If you can't increase the weights as fast as it suggests, just repeat the same weight the next workout, but add a set or rep. That's what I do, anyway. OHP is the hardest lift to increase. Don't be discouraged.
  • jesslifts
    jesslifts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started it last year but got waylaid and will start it again next week. It was going well on week 3/4 and just starting to get challenging.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and liked it, but had to modify because my upper body strength SUCKS. Planning to start it again once I get over this cold.
  • paulrmolina
    paulrmolina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mrs_kurz wrote: »
    Hi all, I've wanted to get into lifting for YEARS and have been hindered by a knee injury for the last 2 years. However I am joining the gym on monday and came accross the stronglifts 5x5 program and thoguht it looked super straight forward to follow as a beginner.

Any other women following this plan want to be buddies and track lifting progress together?

Would definitely recommend against this program especially if you've had knee issues and likely haven't done the correct rehab to avoid further injury with this program.

5x5 is great if you're already fit, but I personally don't like it for a beginner program. If your body isn't holistically-prepared (core/nervous/musculoskeletal) you could definitely do some damage considering how much stress you're going to put your whole body under with the compound lifts so close to your 1RM.

I would say that if you're getting back into fitness you try doing convict conditioning for at least a month or two before trying the 5x5 program. But hey, if you're committed, you're committed 💪
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    You don't need to do the lifts anywhere close to your 1RM. It specifically tells you to start even lighter than you think you can handle for the first weeks. If the empty bar is heavy for you, start with a smaller bar or dumbbells.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Just started SL5X5. I was doing powerlifting last year but it just took too much time. Hoping the short workouts with 5x5 keep me in the gym lifting. Can't wait to see some progress!
  • yow_katherine
    yow_katherine Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love the strong lifts program. Straightforward and easy to follow. I've been doing it for a bout a year but haven't progressed much, between work and doing school part-time my gym attendance has been inconsistent.
  • zuzanao
    Options
    How long does it take to do workout A and B?
  • zuzanao
    Options
    How long does it take you guys to do the workouts?
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to start the program in the next month. I am still working on building my home gym and need some type of rack or squat stand before I can start. The HIIT gym I go to includes these lifts in rotation so I already have some base formed. I am not entirely sure what weight I should start with. I will likely start with the bar and just vary the increase amount in the beginning. I have heard that getting your own set of fractional plates can make a huge difference.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    zuzanao wrote: »
    How long does it take you guys to do the workouts?

It only took me 30 min to do the workouts. I usually had a few minutes to do accessories.