476lbs, 5 days in ...

Options
5 days in, and I already feel better. Now, I'm not delusional, I weigh 476lbs. I know I have a LONG, SLOW journey ahead of me, (after all, I didn't get here overnight).
This first 5 days, I skipped all soda and stayed under my calorie goals. I haven't really added exercise (other that parking a little farther away at work). I'm mainly focused on the food right now.
With these small changes, only after 5 days, I've noticed I'm not as tired when I get off work at night. Now I'm not bursting with energy by any means, but I can FEEL a difference.
Guess this could be a NSV.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    5 days in, and I already feel better. Now, I'm not delusional, I weigh 476lbs. I know I have a LONG, SLOW journey ahead of me, (after all, I didn't get here overnight).
    This first 5 days, I skipped all soda and stayed under my calorie goals. I haven't really added exercise (other that parking a little farther away at work). I'm mainly focused on the food right now.
    With these small changes, only after 5 days, I've noticed I'm not as tired when I get off work at night. Now I'm not bursting with energy by any means, but I can FEEL a difference.
    Guess this could be a NSV.

Best of success.
  • idabentley
    idabentley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes it is a life journey Robin. The terrain can be exciting but at times challenging, it takes tenacity, patience and consistency. As you change your choice of foods your taste buds change. My choice is fresh unprocessed food. All the very best Robin
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are off to a great start! Awesome work focusing on the food first, that is the most important. Best of luck - you've got this!!
  • sparkyvenkman
    sparkyvenkman Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You're starting out great, focusing on the bad habits that got us where we started is what will make the difference in the end. Exercise will come when you're ready for now it's awesome that you are here and working on your needs.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your successful beginning!
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Great start Robin! The first few days of any new plan is hardest for me and you've got past that! It may be a long journey to your ultimate goal, but you will be reaching smaller goals all along the way and reaping the rewards of looking and feeling better every day.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    One other thingI would recommend is track your measurements, as when the scale gets you down because of water retention, the measurements will help reinforce that your moving in the right direction
  • Christinewray2013
    Christinewray2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’ve dropped all sugar :) and soda! I feel more energetic too x
  • Janetlvb
    Janetlvb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah you! Great start . Soda is an excellent thing to give up- your teeth will thank you too.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Cutting soda was one of the best things I ever did for myself! For me, not only was the soda full of calories, but the sugary taste made me crave salty, greasy foods to go with it. When I cut out soda suddenly I stopped craving all sorts of other foods as well.

Looking ahead it may seem like a long road, but when you compare it to the rest of your life, it’s no time at all! Best of luck to you!
  • Mandy165
    Mandy165 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pop is a tough one as I only picked up this bad habit a few years ago, yesterday was day 1 without it. I actually have felt more tired and irritated past few days but will stick with it. Wish you lots of success on your journey!
  • emeraldwoods4214
    emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think being kind to yourself and trusting the process is really important. There are so many things out there which advertise an immediate solution to our problems, and those extreme measures don’t work well in the long run. Finding your “why” for starting this journey is essential. Trying to remember that when those situations come up where I feel like I want to disregard the boundaries give me a peace of mind.

We are here for you! There are tons of people on here who are so supportive and understand almost any perspective that you are coming from. 💕💕
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Well done! You have done the most difficult thing - you have started to take care of yourself. You will see, MFP and its members are a great help. Just prepare yourself a basic meal plan for the next day and take it meal by meal, day by day. I started 400 days ago with 170 kg (375 pounds) on my back - so far I have lost 32 kg (70 pounds). Initially I couldn't walk much but in time I started to enjoy my walks in nature. We can do it!
  • lms_938
    lms_938 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting started! Don't worry if you don't see results on the scales straight away. I didn't. But I did feel better, I had more energy, I slept better. Things like that can encourage you even when you aren't seeing the numbers shifting. Good luck!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Cutting out soda to get into a calorie deficit is a great way to start if you don't miss it. It is also smart. One of the few advantages to having a lot of weight to lose is that initially it is easier to create a calorie deficit without making radical changes.

Do yourself a favor and resist the urge to skip ahead. You can still eat a lot of food and lose a lot of weight doing it. There is no reason to eat like a person who has to manage their calories much more closely until you actually get there. As a person who started with a lot of weight to lose I know this very well. I often started with skipping ahead to what I call the chicken and broccoli stage and I always failed. I have gradually changed as the weight has come off and it has worked much better for me. The "fun" foods that I ate a lot of at the beginning have gradually become moderated more and more.

Here is my 1 year update thread if you are interested:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731694/after-a-year-over-150lbs-lost-learned-a-few-things/p1

I felt better after about 2 weeks so 5 days doesn't surprise me. I am happy for you.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This is 90% mental. Keep that great attitude and you’ll go far!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You got this. You've already changed your life and taken the first steps on an incredible journey. Wishing you every success.
  • IsKingaskinnyyet
    IsKingaskinnyyet Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Small changes turns to bigger results. Keep it up!!!