Exercising and not sleeping? Anyone?

Options
ca_josh
ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
Hello everyone,

Long story short, my career is very demanding and has me working 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. Sometimes 7 days a week. I workout hard 5 or 6 days a week, but my gains/losses have plateaued. Is my lack of sleep stopping me from reaching my goals? I sleep 4 hours a night and am lucky to get 8 hours of sleep Saturday night. Is anyone else in this position or living this kind of lifestyle?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I would have to say yes, unless you are one of those lucky people who genetically can exist on little sleep with no harm. I'm an 8-10hr gal for optimal performance myself.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. Sleep is very important for health, workout performance, recovery, stress levels, hunger. That being said there have been many times in my life where my sleep has been horrible (my babies were terrible sleepers pretty much up until age 2). I had no issues losing weight, retaining or gaining muscle during those times. Could my results have been better? Certainly. But I had to work with it. In your case I would try to get more sleep, even an extra hour or two a night if you can and go from there.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    During about 2 months at a certain time of year, I have a demanding work schedule but not as extreme as yours. Despite my best intentions, I end if working out less.

What I’ve learned is that something is better than nothing. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I have a spare office at my office and it is my gym. I keep my fitness implements there and have gotten some good-enough workouts during brief 10 to 15 minutes something is better than nothing sessions.

If your work schedule is unending rather than seasonal, your fitness goals and health, as you age, will be compromised. Relationship will too.

Wishing you the best.
  • ca_josh
    Options
    “Relationship will too”

Yes, that ship did sail a few years back.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am not a sleeper, but average 4.5-6 hours a night. Granted, I actually feel groggy if I get more than 7hours. I'm up at 430 to run and lift before work. I do try to make up for it on weekends, but I work hard and refuse to give up my social life- so it is what it is.

That said, when I'm gearing up for a long race or long run, I try to make sleep a priority. I havent seen issues with progress so much as I have seen issues with recovery. After a long run, I definitely need more sleep the following 2 nights. If I dont get, my rhr increases, DOMS doesn't go away, etc.
  • ca_josh
    Options
    Thank you, Runnergirl!
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    ca_galt wrote: »
    Thank you, Runnergirl!

No problem. What's sleep anyway?
  • ca_josh
    Options
    Hahaha!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I use my brain and not brawn to earn my living. While no particular day or couple of days compromise me being at my best, there’s no doubt that chronic lack of sleep does. Peak mental capacity translates to higher earning capacity for me.

The same has got to be true for peak physical fitness performance.

Your mileage may vary.