Tips and tricks to getting lean

Options
To get lean, people tend to think they have to cut everything they enjoy eating and do cardio religiously. When in reality, cardio should be used as a tool rather than just running everyday or every other day. Getting lean starts with diet, must be in a caloric deficit to lose weight/body fat. So start in a very slight deficit, 150-200 calories. Why? Because this gives you the opportunity to drop calories even more if the results aren’t what you want. If you start to low, you will only suffer, most likely sacrifice the muscle mass you already have, and it’s just not sustainable. So when weight loss stalls, do to your metabolism catching up to your diet. This is when you can incorporate cardio to burn more calories rather than lower calories again. Or you can do both, completely up to you. For me, I like to eat so I use cardio when weight loss stalls. And make sure you weigh everything you consume for at least two weeks, so you have a firm understanding of how many calories you’re really getting in per day. Then after that, you have a good idea of what your portion sizes look like, and you’ll have some type of routine of eating. So now, you won’t need the food scale so it won’t be as tedious or time consuming. Good luck y’all, let’s get shredded for Summer 💪

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're saying not to do cardio unless your weight loss has stalled.

I do a lot of cardio. I do it because I love it. It makes me happy. It also is making me more physically fit and gives me tons of extra calories to eat. I'm also losing weight just fine. Been doing a lot of cardio for 9 months. No negative effects.

I'm glad you found something that works for you. It isn't necessarily the only way for everyone else though.

:smile:
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I followed almost none of this advice and I'm down 30 pounds so far. There is no need to make this any more complicated than it needs to be.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Tips and tricks to get lean is the headline. I don’t give a *kitten* if you enjoy doing cardio everyday or not.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I followed almost none of this advice and I'm down 30 pounds so far. There is no need to make this any more complicated than it needs to be.

How you down 30 pounds then mike? Please enlighten me
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Tips and tricks to get lean is the headline. I don’t give a *kitten* if you enjoy doing cardio everyday or not.

Well my point is that you are wrong. I'm down 44 pounds and what I've done to lose this weight is not even close to what you are recommending. And while you may not give a *kitten*, my happiness matters to me. My purpose on this planet is not to solely be lean.

Again, may work for you but not necessary for everyone.