My weight loss, and today's NSV

Options
I haven't been on MyFitnessPal in a long time but this morning I came back to update all the weight loss so I could see the little graph that it prints out. lol at me. But then I thought I'd also post because maybe I can help to motivate someone else who's struggling.

In the past I did Weight Watchers which worked well. But then when I stopped counting points I gained the weight back. Then I tried counting calories, which of course works but... yeah, "but"... gained it back. Then I tried a really low carb diet and besides craving bread and butter all the time (lol at me again) I also got sick of counting the carbs.

So then my doctor told me my a1c was up, not quite to Type 2 but almost. She said to cut down on "processed white carbs and sugar". And, I was just tired of counting things. So this time around I decided I wasn't going to count a darn thing and was just going to focus on making better choices.

First thing I did was stop eating junk -- potato chips, cookies, donuts, whatever. I actually haven't cut them out entirely...like if I'm out I might buy a small bag of chips. But I'm not bringing any of it into the house. I do have some dark chocolate in the house because for me I can eat just two small pieces. With chips I cannot eat just a few so they have to stay out of the house. I also had a couple of cupcakes this week at school for Teacher Appreciation Week, but I chose the gluten free ones that were made from coconut and almond flours instead of the refined white flour. The donuts were an awful temptation though! I looked at them and looked at them...then took the almost flour cupcake and left the room. oy...

I also cut way down on things like bread, pasta, white rice, white potatoes. Again we haven't given them up, just cut way down and subbed in other things such as brown rice, or roasted rutabaga instead of potatoes (we can't tell the difference once they're cooked). And for many meals we don't even have a starch, we just eat several different vegetables instead of just one. I have an Instant Pot (pressure cooker) which makes it so easy to cook some vegetables very quickly in my tiny kitchen.

And the last thing was to stop eating after dinner. I am totally not hungry, obviously, right after eating dinner. It was just a bad habit to pour another glass of wine and eat something crunchy. Now I mostly don't eat anything. If I really want something I eat a piece of chocolate or some applesauce (I make it myself, very smooth how I like it -- can't buy is smooth like that -- and add no sugar).

That's it. It's been both easy, and sometimes hard, if that makes sense. The easy part is NOT COUNTING anything. lololol. And eating more vegetables...that's been easy also. Hard is when the cravings hit.

BUT --- since January 1 I have lost 31 pounds!! And my NSV this morning was that I ZIPPED MY JEANS! The ones I haven't been able to wear in a couple of years. They're not totally comfortable yet, certainly not for sitting around in. But they zipped and I wore them to Target and the post office this morning. :smiley:

Well, sorry so long. Just wanted to pat myself on the back a little bit, and maybe encourage anyone else who also has an aversion to counting points/calories/carbs/whatever-else-people-count. lol.