Nutrition value

RayanaL
RayanaL Posts: 38 Member
How do you calculate calories for a ham hock ?if your only using it as flavor and then throwing it away . None of the meat is being ate , just using it as flavor in cabbage .

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The flavor is the fat that comes from the ham and goes to the cabbage. It's very difficult to get an accurate weight of it. All the water involved in the process only complicates things.

Even if you could measure the fat that rendered away from the ham, you still can't tell how much is still coating the cabbage.

Perhaps just pick a reasonable number and log a few grams of rendered pork fat.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,851 Member
    You could also look for an online recipe with similar ingredients that also provides the recipes nutritional information and use those numbers for your recipe. I do that when dining in restaurants all the time. I find the best "similar" online and use it in my tracker. :)
  • carrotsaregood
    carrotsaregood Posts: 57 Member
    Why not eat the meat? Or at least count the calories as if you were. I over estimate when in doubt.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    When I made Split Pea Soup recently, I made broth/stock with the ham hock and was able to find an entry in the database. I'm sure not perfect, but close enough for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    RayanaL wrote: »
    How do you calculate calories for a ham hock ?if your only using it as flavor and then throwing it away . None of the meat is being ate , just using it as flavor in cabbage .

I don't. I either find a decent enough db entry in those cases or I estimate. If it were a high calorie addition to the recipe I might try to figure something out but not something that adds minimal calories.