Working up to running a full mile

Options
So, I've been on training for a 5k at the end of september (also a 10k at the end of october) for two weeks now and the longest I can run before my calfs or lungs stopping me is 0.8 miles. I'm 23, 5'6'' and 142 lbs. (female if that isn't obvious)

I haven't been able to run a full mile since high school (for shame) but I am really determined to get myself fit enough to do it!!!

What I do now is start off walking and speed up in small increments over 2 minutes then I run as far as I can go. I always slow down back to a walk before it gets too bad, then walk until I've done 45 minutes of cardio. Then I make sure to stretch plenty after every cardio workout I do. My legs just start burning in my calfs specifically after about 5 minutes, and no matter how evenly or deeply I keep my breathing the pain makes me stop running so I don't hurt myself.

When I looked online someone said they recommended doing muscle building in my calfs to get rid of that pain. Is this really the problem? What are some good exercises for calf muscle build up that I can do? I'd also appreciate any advice to a beginner to running. :]

Thanks and hope you all are well!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do some squats, calf raises and lunges.

Also, don't try to do it all at once. Try intervals. For the first week run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, etc. The next week run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute. Them 3/1, etc. until you build to a full mile.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For lungs, I found that intervals on a stationary bike helped enormously. Warm-up of 1 minute off, 30 seconds on, five times; then three on, three off for as long as you can manage.

I found I could breathe far better after doing that for a while, and interspersing bike intervals with running has kept that going (although I still sound terrible!!).
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    While it won't hurt to strengthen your calves the pain you are exeperiencing right now is more than likely just from asking your muscles to do more than they have had to do for a long time. It will get better soon.

One thing I would recommend is that after you have to start walking don't walk the whole rest of the way. Switch to something like 1 min run 1 min walk until you finish. Fitness will build faster that way.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!

I will work those things into my routine. I think I really do need to start the interval training. :] Great ideas.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I would look at the "Learn to run 10k" and/or "Couch to 5k" type programs (google will take you there). Those use interval/ladder approaches where you mix various ratios of walking and jogging to get to your eventual goal. They all start out at a reasonable pace. The "Learn 10k" plan will have you around 4k by the end of the third week.

Unless there is something medically wrong, you don't need to do any other exercises to get to 5k. Just remember to take it easy and listen to the program's recommendations on pacing.

Good luck!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Slow down. If you are a new runner, you she be running at a pace where you can easily hold a conversation if there is someon next to you. Most new runners (including myself) attempt to run too fast. It's difficult to maintain as faster speed if your lungs are not conditioned. Running too fast can cause calf and leg pain as well. When I run faster then normal I tend to have calf pain and may have to take a day off because of it.

Are you running on a treadmill or outside? I suggest outdoors. Running on a treadmill is much different then outside. You may work up to a mile indoors and then be very disappointed on your first run outside because it's more difficult.

I'll tell you tho, once you can get past the pain part you'll be really surprised at how quickly you progress. I went for 1.5 miles straight to 3 miles in 2 runs. It was like all of a sudden something clicked in my body (or it just finally realized I wasn't giving up) and now I'm up to 3 miles in less then a week.

You'll get there. Make sure you take 1-2 rest days in between runs and know the difference between uncormortable and pain.

Happy running!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So, I've been on training for a 5k at the end of september (also a 10k at the end of october) for two weeks now and the longest I can run before my calfs or lungs stopping me is 0.8 miles. I'm 23, 5'6'' and 142 lbs. (female if that isn't obvious)

You have a track in the kitchen? What kind of place is this?

Seriously just do what others here have said. Take it easy and don't even worry one little bit about how "slow" you're running. There are so many speeds and there is no such thing as being too slow. Just work on the distance and endurance and let the faster part happen naturally. Run for half a mile and then walk if you need to. The important part is that you're consistent and keep it up. You'll make good progress with practice.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do squats.

I also highly recommend Active's Couch-to-5K & 5K-to-10K.

Also, slow down. You're probably running to fast for your ability at this time. You gotta give your lungs/body time to adjust to running.

Keep it slow at first until you can do a full 5K then I'd do interval training to get you up to a 10K (2 minutes steady run then 2 minutes fast run, alternating).

Good luck!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    +1 for Couch to 5k (a.k.a. C25K)

You do not need to start lifting weights to run. In fact most distance runners have very little muscle mass to them (its less weight to have to carry, allowing you to run longer). You need to build your cardio system up in order to run 5k, not your muscular system. It doesn't hurt having muscles, its just not as important as your body's ability to transport oxygen and glycogen to your muscles.

Go slower, you are probably pushing too hard. Its a common mistake for new (or returning) runners. I did.
    Don't be afraid to walk for a minute or two if you start to ache or have problems breathing.
    Take your time.
    Have fun, don't stress.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest intervals.

If you have a smart phone, download a couch to 5k app and start in Week 4. This week starts you at 3 and 5 minute runs with walking intervals in between. This would also put you on target for your 5k in September.

I did C25K last year and got all the way into Week 9 before I had to stop due to surgery. I started the program at 260lbs and was VERY out of shape.

I've since restarted and I'm in Week 4 now.

Also, as someone else mentioned, slow your pace. If you are out of breath, you are going to fast. If you get side stitches, you are going too fast. If you cant complete a run segment, you are going too fast.

I have short legs and when I am running, there are people who can walk faster than I am running. But speed doesnt matter one bit, not now. When you are running miles at a time without stopping, then you can start working on increasing your speed. Until then, let your body get used to what you are doing.

Good luck on your upcoming 5k!! It is do-able and you CAN do it!!! :happy:
  • daisygeep
    Options
    I did couch to 5 k and I highly recommend it! I was never a runner before I tried this program. I also wonder if your calves are hurting that much are you hydrated enough? I need a little energy before a morning run so a handful of dried fruit or a Lara Bar are a must for me before I stretch and run and PLENTY of water. Do you have a good playlist for running? It really makes the difference for me if I can stick it out for the long haul. I also agree to slow down to a pace you can handle.