Working out daily?

Jesi1011
Jesi1011 Posts: 200 Member
At the gym I do 10min treadmill, 10min arch runner machine, and 10min bike. Then do about 30-45mins weights1 I switch arms/legs/stomach

Is it okay to go daily? I find that if I miss one day I don’t go back. If I keep going then I keep going!

Do you really need a rest day? What if my rest day was just walking or going easy?

What’s your routine? I’m 31, at my heaviest 195, want to loose 50-60lbs.

Replies

• LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    I don’t go to the gym, but I exercise every day now. However, at least one or two days a week my exercise is just walking. I do strength training 3 times a week (M&S dumbbell program + some bodyweight upper body work and glutes-specific exercises) and run 3 times a week, sometimes both on the same day. Days off from running I include some other form of cardio or I just feel off all day. I normally choose from DDR, my stationary bike, running/walking flights of stairs in my house, hiking/geocaching, some workout videos and walking. I haven’t had a full on sit-on-my-rear rest day in ages because I felt all locked up and lethargic when I did that. I at least walk a few miles on “rest days”, but not everyone needs necessarily to do the same. I’m much less prone to injury since I started making sure rest days include some walking at the very least.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Your rest day can be walking, yoga , light cardio etc. depending on your fitness level. Just don’t go all out every day.
  • CoreyLust
    CoreyLust Posts: 42 Member
    It really depends on your goals. Are you achieving them? If you are as long as your cardio work is at a low intensity and assuming you are handling the overall volume there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. You don't need a rest day. I do similar stuff everyday and I'm still getting gains. If I feel like a rest day. I take one. But I often don't. Sometimes just a slight reduction in volume or intensity.
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    I go to the gym 6 days a week ( I do aix of free weights with a warm up on the elliptical, or kick boxing or Barre and weights depending on the day) and my "rest day" I usually run with my dog. I run 3 days a week one of which is my rest day.

Should I need a rest, I know how to listen to my body and I will take one. I have taken a couple over the last 6 mths or so but I don't seem to need them weekly, not really.

Just listen to your body. Do a lighter day at the gym. Maybe do yoga, something I do a couple times a month on lower energy days.
  • ca_josh
    ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
    I work out hard for 6 six days, and rest and blow out my calories on the 7th day.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I exercise 5-6 days a week. Mon, Weds, Fri is lifting, with hiking, spinning or some other form of cardio on Tues, Thurs and usually either Sat or Sun. My cardio days vary in intensity. Sometimes it’s more “activity” than exercise (like today I just did some relaxed kayaking for about 90 minutes) and if that’s the case I’m active all 7 days a week.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    resting is actually very important for recovery. rest doesn't mean you sit on your butt on the couch all day long. You can go for a walk or something.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Do weights first, and cardio second. That has much more effect on your workout. The intensity of your weight exercises what matters the most. You really need to get your heart pumping. if you do that, then you do need rest days between the weight exercises.
    And yes, during the rest days you can walk, stretch and even do some core strengthening exercises - planks, bridges etc.