86lbs...no appetite

Options
I've Been Struggling to gain weight for about 6 months now but I have no appetite. any ideas about what I should do?

Replies

• snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    seek medical help...

if you have done that follow medical advice...
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    :noway: wow.. are you super short??? I hope so...
    start exercising and it will give you an appetite.. and lift your moods.. and make you want food!
    try eating some carbs.. they are an appetite builder..and make you MORE hungry in the end vs protein!
    of course you need a variety.. but sugars/carbs make your appetite GROW.. gain wt.. etc....
    i dont have this problem of not being hungry/eating... next to NEVER... EXCEPT when im depressed or stressed then maybe no appetite....
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My step mom has this issue. She barely weighs 90 pounds,and hates that everyone comments on how "skinny" she is. I've never had that problem,but, if it were me, I would set an eating schedule. Eat something no smaller than your palm every 2 hours, even if you aren't hungry. Losing weight can be a struggle,but I don't think many people think about the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm sure it can be just as difficult to gain weight. If you find that you are unable to eat due to psychological or physical reasons, definitely seek professional assistance.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you don't have any underlying medical conditions as to why you are underweight that you eat calorie dense foods. Whole milk, eggs, nuts and nut butters, avocados, and those types of things when you DO eat. If you do have a medical condition or some such, then I would suggest as the above poster says to seek medical help and follow the Dr.'s advice.
  • wisher40
    wisher40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When you do eat, choose healthy but more calorie dense foods. Whole wheat pastas, cheeses, avocados, mangoes and bananas are all higher in calories while still providing a good mixture of healthy fats, nutrients, etc.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor. But if you choose to take the advice of strangers on the internet, then I'd suggest eating more calorie dense foods.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just the way your body is right now? I'm 5'7" and was pretty thin when I was young (naturally, I didn't 'diet' or restrict food intake in any way)...I wanted to gain weight SO BAD because I had that thigh gap that everyone seems to want now, but back then, it wasn't "cool". It took me until I was around your age to weigh over 100 pounds.

If that's the case, then enjoy it while it lasts, hon, in 26 years you'll be back here saying "I can't lose my last 10-15 pounds for the life of me!". :laugh:
  • Bride2Be_122713
    Options
    SMOKE WEED!
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    SMOKE WEED!

+1 for the lolz
  • dinglekerri
    Options
    How about vaporizing or smoking some weed? Marijuana can help increase your appetite.
  • dinglekerri
    Options
    Happy 420!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am not saying to do anything illegal depending on where you live but I have heard this plant called Cannabis Sativa when used is known to stimulate appetite.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You pretty much just have to eat even when you're not hungry. Eat things that are healthy and nutritious but also 'packed' with calories AKA nuts, cheeses, avocado, meats, dried fruits, whole wheat pasta and breads. Drink milk, protein shakes, juice, or smoothies with your meals and in between meals.

Or just become addicted to Starbucks and grab yourself a hazelnut macchiato and a slice of pumpkin bread like I do every day. ;) What an easy 600 calories.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    ICE CREAMMMMM
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    :noway: wow.. are you super short??? I hope so...
    start exercising and it will give you an appetite.. and lift your moods.. and make you want food!
    try eating some carbs.. they are an appetite builder..and make you MORE hungry in the end vs protein!
    of course you need a variety.. but sugars/carbs make your appetite GROW.. gain wt.. etc....
    i dont have this problem of not being hungry/eating... next to NEVER... EXCEPT when im depressed or stressed then maybe no appetite....

This is good advise! It's possible you may have an unknown issue as well.You may need to seek a Dr. Maybe something is off in your system or maybe it's physiological. Are you stressed, having any issues at home or work, are you active? Just some suggestions.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There are people on MFP trying to recover from eating disorders. Chill with the meth comments and such.

OP...talk to your physician and see if they can direct you to a registered dietitian. Also seek counseling if you are recovering from an ED if you aren't already. Ask about support groups and hotlines. You can also search for free hotlines to call in to find services if you aren't talking to a counselor and are unsure how to go about finding one.

ETA: And all of you do know you are in the GAINING WEIGHT part of the forums where those looking to gain weight (bulkers, ED recoveries) post to get info, right?
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    OP, I'd recommend setting a schedule and eating at that schedule, no matter what. See a doctor if for whatever reason you cannot physically do it (i.e. get sick) or mentally can't do it (i.e. anorexia-like issues). Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • pankuneho
    pankuneho Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never understood why my underweight friends were underweight until I spent time a lot of time with them (either a full day, or over a weekend, etc.). (And I have the opposite problem of gaining weight easily). I realized they get so caught up with activities or projects/work that they forget to eat meals. Completely forget! If you are the same, you might try setting an alarm on your phone to remind you to eat your 3 square meals a day. Also, make sure you aren't taking anything that dulls your appetite, like coffee or cigarettes.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    DRINK ENSURE, NUTRAMENTS GALORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!