Is cardio making my thighs bulky?

Options
Since I have started my weight loss journey (about 5 months ago) I have concentrated mainly on cardio paired with some body weight exercises. I will do 30 minutes of cardio on the eliptical at a decent resistance (4 out of 10). Or I will run on the treadmill alternating light jogging with a 30 second sprint.

The only strength I have done for my legs is a few body weight exercises like lunges, squats, leg raises etc.

Is the cardio making my quads really bulky? My stomach is small, my butt is small, but my thighs can't even fit into my jeans - they are too big.

My calves have also gotten HUGE.

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Nonsense! Exercise will only make you toned and fit. You are not doing enough to body-build (aka Arnold S). You sound like you are built like me--a pear. Keep working out and as the fat melts away the jeans will grow.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    That 'rexic look is nasty.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Since I have started my weight loss journey (about 5 months ago) I have concentrated mainly on cardio paired with some body weight exercises. I will do 30 minutes of cardio on the eliptical at a decent resistance (4 out of 10). Or I will run on the treadmill alternating light jogging with a 30 second sprint.

The only strength I have done for my legs is a few body weight exercises like lunges, squats, leg raises etc.

Is the cardio making my quads really bulky? My stomach is small, my butt is small, but my thighs can't even fit into my jeans - they are too big.

My calves have also gotten HUGE.

...says the new account with absolutely no photographic verification.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think that there is a tendency for lots of women to over-analyze their bodies. My guess is that your thighs and calves are fine, but you are trying to reach an unreachable goal of being one of those crazy skinny models. Try not to worry about it and accept yourself. Lots of people don't think that model-skinny women are all that attractive. I don't...and if your legs are bulky, (which I kind of doubt) they are also probably nicely shaped.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Based on your pic your thighs look good to me, keep up the good work
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Choose different ancestors.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Eating too much is making you bulky!
  • beastmodekittyx
    beastmodekittyx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your legs now look very good and hot?
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    As a semi serious answer to this...I have what my family call Aitutaki thighs...I'm an islander, my genes are destined to make me 'solid'.
    I lift.
    My legs are not bulky they are fricking awesome.
    Muscle compacts more than fat.
    I hate to say it, but you gotta be cray cray if you're eating at a deficit and doing cardio and think your legs are getting bigger while the rest of you is getting smaller.
    Have you actually taken measurements?
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel as if my thighs and calves have gotten bigger but in truth they just lose fat much slower than the rest of me so that proportionately they look bigger. Buy low rise or curvy jeans and work on building some shoulder and upper body mass for a more balanced look.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry: But I call BS: Unless you are a skinny jeans nut. It can not happen. I am a 200 plus male and My legs a way bigger than yours from Calfs to Thighs If they fit me then a smaller you need a new cut of jeans..
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Wear skirts and dresses. Problem solved.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think your question is being misunderstood..... bulky does not equal "fat" nor does your question read like a complaint to me. But I digress.....

Yes, the elliptical machine may be making your thighs more muscular, but you can remove the number 4 resistance to 0.

I have muscular legs, too, and running, spinning, stair climbing and the elliptical machine will make my legs bulky. I am ok with that outcome. I'm not complaining.... I'm bragging.... :tongue:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with your question, I remember experiencing that before. :happy:

You must be really working out! Probably you are just getting some water retention, and it will go away after a while. Muscles do that when you work out hard. Good job!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    From another of the OP's posts:
    Height: 5"8
    Weight: 131
    Bust: 32"
    Waist: 26"
    Hips: 33"
    Yeah, I'm not seeing any bulk here. She also states that she wants to look like the thinspo girls she sees on pinterest and elsewhere, so I'm afraid anything other than downright bony is going to be seen as bulky to her.

Get some help, kiddo - healthy and strong is awesome, bony is not.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My mother in law said I had thunder thighs, is thunder another term for bulky?
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    My mother in law said I had thunder thighs, is thunder another term for bulky?

That's what I got too, or Aitutaki thighs. What they're actually saying is this...

WAAHHHH! You have muscles and you're a girl, that creeps me out. I think all the woman's should be tiny and be able to break their hips when they push out the beebies they should be having instead. And then the woman's should get skinny fat REALLY fast and stay covered in a layer of wobbly fat as opposed to being lean and mean and stronger than the tough burly mansies.

Well, that's what I hear anyway. And yes they can't speak proper English when I hear it :P
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    From another of the OP's posts:
    Height: 5"8
    Weight: 131
    Bust: 32"
    Waist: 26"
    Hips: 33"
    Yeah, I'm not seeing any bulk here. She also states that she wants to look like the thinspo girls she sees on pinterest and elsewhere, so I'm afraid anything other than downright bony is going to be seen as bulky to her.

Get some help, kiddo - healthy and strong is awesome, bony is not.

TRUTH!
    I'm the same height and weight. Except I lift without fear of getting bulky. In fact I wouldn't mind bulking my thighs but thus far no luck
    W0uJ_H5brtwYw7M4vw0EI-t1OtYu9awtnuoEmBuMh_k=w87-h154-p-no
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Asking about an exercise making a part of you "bulky" and then providing no pictures is like asking us if a piece of clothing looks good on you and providing no pictures. C'mon now.
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    ....what was wrong with my last reply? About how she should keep lifting and she'd get there? And tough chicks are awesome?