Motivation to start again?

Options
Long story short, 7 years ago I lost about 30 pounds over the course of 10 months. It was great! I felt great. I did it through diet and exercise. I was also 25.

Fast forward, starting about 4 years ago I started gaining weight back. I hold it differently than I did before so I look heavier but not the same as the original start weight. I have a different job (I was in grad school with much more free time and activity before). I live with my boyfriend who can eat anything and not gain weight. He's so super supportive but also forgetful, so when I say "let's eat healthy tonight!" and then he forgets...we may not.

I want to lose weight again. I'm not comfortable in my own skin, I don't like the way my clothes fit, and I have less confidence than I used to. I keep trying to start up again and make better choices but I lose like 2 pounds and immediately gain it back. In my head I remember doing all the right things and it working, and then I see myself doing the same things and it not working and I get depressed and stop doing any of the good things.

So basically, how do I overcome myself and get back into it? It's hard because I know my body doesn't respond the way it did before, it's wanting to hang on at the weight I am now, and my willpower for good decisions is very finite when I see no results.

Replies

• bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What if you stopped weighing yourself? Maybe do it once every 2 weeks but no more. Then you can work on healthy habits without the pressure/trap of changing your behavior based on a 1-2 lb fluctuation.
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that for me, having a conversation via messenger is more effective at motivation so send me a message if you’d like!
  • julia_808
    julia_808 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am basically in the EXACT same situation as you, even down to the amount being 30 pounds, the well-intentioned boyfriend who can eat everything, etc. :) I'm 36, so I'm a few years older, but everything else is remarkably similar. I'm looking for motivation to stick with it, maybe we can buddy up? I'll add you.
  • Krisydee
    Krisydee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What if you stopped weighing yourself? Maybe do it once every 2 weeks but no more. Then you can work on healthy habits without the pressure/trap of changing your behavior based on a 1-2 lb fluctuation.

Completely agree with this!!! I do not weigh myself but go by how I feel, how my clothes fit, and how I feel sitting in my car (Odd enough I know but hard to explain) I plan on only weighing myself once a month. Discouragement can be very lethal to your sucess.