healthy sub for beef besides turkey

Options
healthy sub for beef besides turkey:

I have a answer for all of you that don't want to eat beef to mess up ur diet, but tierd of eating chicken and turkey. Bison meat.. It's 90% lean and coould help u with cutting those calories and find something good also. I just grilled some bison steaks on the grill and the were very good. Any health food store has it.. Bison burgers, bison dogs, bison steaks,etc..... you name it.

I hope this was helpful to someone because I was stuck just eating chicken & turkey and got tired of the same routine...

ReeRee:smile:

Replies

• englishdamion
    Options
    Where can I find Bison meat from? What is the taste similar too?
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bison meat can be found in most in market store. I think it has the same taste as hamburg. However if you over cook it it dries out really bad.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota and Bison is really popular here however I have never tried it. I will however go to the meat store and get some next time and try it out. I'm a pretty picky eater so it will be interesting. Does anyone know calorie difference??
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I have had bison burgers and they are very good...I couldn't really taste the difference between bison and beef. Very good stuff.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    They have it at walmart too!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    http://www.buffalohillsbisonmeat.com/nutritional_information.php

Has the nutrition information - I will have to check this out as well. Thank you for the suggestion... :flowerforyou:
  • wartburgkate
    wartburgkate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at the farmer's market-- it is cheaper there. It is about 5 dollars a pound for ground buffalo, and on up from there. It is super good and I love how healthy it is. You won't be able to tell a difference between that and beef. In fact, I was skeptical that I must have cooked the wrong thing because I was convinced it was actually beef.

I was at target today and they had Bison steaks but I think they were 10 dollars, which is pretty spendy.

Yum buffalo!! Eat up!!! Also, deer is another lean meat that is delicious!
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You can get it at Publix too. It's usually grass-fed and in their Greenwise section.
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota and Bison is really popular here however I have never tried it. I will however go to the meat store and get some next time and try it out. I'm a pretty picky eater so it will be interesting. Does anyone know calorie difference??

I just got some calorie info from www.calorieking.com
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories 49 (1oz)
    % Daily Value 1
    Total Fat 1.4g 2%
    Sat. Fat 0.6g 3%
    Cholesterol 24mg 8%
    Sodium 12mg < 0.1%
    Total Carbs. 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 8.6g
    Calcium 1.4mg
    Potassium 108.3mg
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Where can I find Bison meat from? What is the taste similar too?

I know here you can buy it in most stores in with the frozen foods, I have never seen it fresh though. Just ask someone that works at your local grocery store if you can't find it on your own!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    I get mine from the natural grocers. Its recommended only to cook it to medium doneness. i really enjoyed it. and i also tried ostrich steaks- theyre red meat and nutrion and taste wise like the buffalo!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Check out pork tenderloin, you'll be surprised by the nutritional values you see :)
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE buffalo meat! We had some for the first time just grilled with a splash of balsamic, and I find it's like beef but with more flavour. Also you can reheat a buffalo roast for use in s etw and unliek beef, it doesn't get really tough.

We get ours from the farmers market, from Puddledub, which is reasonably local to us (about an hour by train) so less air miles as well!