Millet

lalalacroix
lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
Just bought this grain for the first time. Probably gonna cook it today. Anyone have any cooking tips? Or favorite ways to eat?

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,126 Member
    No special cooking tips other than to use broth instead of plain water for cooking. I use millet like I'd use cous cous or other pasta-style grains. It's delicious!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    No special cooking tips other than to use broth instead of plain water for cooking. I use millet like I'd use cous cous or other pasta-style grains. It's delicious!

Agree. It's fairly neutral flavor wise. It can get a little starchy if you let it sit after cooking. It is the original grain that was used for cous cous and over the centuries it migrated to a pasta style product. Like past, better to cook it al dente than over cook it.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I just made myself some millet today. Made myself a lovely taboulé:

Cook millet as per instructions
    Add:
    diced tomatoes (the riper the better)
    mint leaves
    lemon juice
    olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    I also added some feta for the protein.

it was really yummy too :smiley:
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    So many responses! Thanks.

I was reading that it can be soaked for hours so i was unsure. I'm gonna throw it in my rice cooker.

I love couscous so it's good to know they are related, means I should like it. Definitely interested in the pudding idea. Totally love the Mediterranean option above. 🙂