Carbs vs Net carbs

Options
I’ve been focusing on macros as well as calories. MFP doesn’t account for net carbs. I know net carbs in processed foods can be misleading, but what about whole foods? Is there a reason why MFP doesn’t offer it?

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's a labeling thing, in the U.S. nutrition labels don't include net carbs and instead do fiber separately.

If you want to figure net carbs, you can either just subtract your fiber from your carbs or track over on cronometer, which has the option to set up your food diary to track net carbs.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    I’ve been focusing on macros as well as calories. MFP doesn’t account for net carbs. I know net carbs in processed foods can be misleading, but what about whole foods? Is there a reason why MFP doesn’t offer it?

Yes; in much of the rest of the world, such as Europe, the 'carbs' shown on nutritional information are net carbs. So a lot of the entries in the database are net carbs already.

Since MFP doesn't have any way to tell whether the carbs in any given entry are net or gross, anything it does to try to 'account for' net carbs will just make an already messy situation worse.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I tend to just create my own food item and use the nutrition label. I assign it a unique name so I know that it has been adjusted to reflect net carbs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Subtracting fiber from carbs (assuming you use US labels or nutritional information) has always seemed incredibly simple to me. To do that, all you need to do it choose fiber as one of the things to watch (I consider fiber of more interest than either sodium or sugar).
  • Krisydee
    Krisydee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    I tend to just create my own food item and use the nutrition label. I assign it a unique name so I know that it has been adjusted to reflect net carbs.

That is genious!!!