How to fit in "off plan" food choices without derailing?

Options
Let me preface this with saying I'm not suggesting any specific food SHOULD be off limits. However, due to health issues I personally have to eat a fairly strict diet most of the time.

My concern is burnout. I want to be able to go off my personal plan once or twice a week for a meal or a snack or a dessert, without it becoming like the floodgates have opened and my mind--subconsciously or not--gives in to the point that the meal becomes two meals, the snacks become two snacks, the desert becomes a whole bag of cookies, and so on.

I am wondering what you all do to rein yourself in without having to be always on plan.

For what it's worth, I'll share my normal diet here:

I eat veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, tofu, eggs, seeds a lot.
I will slowly be adding back whole grains like rice, oatmeal, and the like.
I have very small amounts of dairy, but most days none at all.
I do not eat meat.
I avoid sugar and flour.

So when I say off plan, I am talking about, for example, having a cookie or having a tortilla, maybe a sandwich, now and then.

I'd like to be able to do that once or twice a week and then have no problem going right back to my norm. But in the past, anytime I'm not strict, I've either quickly or gradually gone back to overdoing the sugar and the flour and the dairy. And then I'd gain weight and feel physically horrible. Recently I was in the hospital as a result of those choices. On plan, I lose weight weight and start to feel good, but deprived at times.

What do you do to fit in the things you don't normally have without messing it all up?

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I understand what are saying and one of the things that I did was like mentioned above I would get the best cookie, preferably one that I had to go out of my to get, the same with chocolates. Budget has a limit on Godiva. I agree, become a food snob, it has a way of making things unappetizing. Going out of my way to get the best or specific things also helped me to move more, I would walk home from work 3+ miles when stopping to get a goody. Pre-logging also helps, it can make that momentary weakness of giving in not seem worth it at all.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Maybe it depends on the mood you are in. Are you feeling good with your emotions? Then maybe you can handle just one cookie. But if you just got annoyed with someone or something didn't go as you planned, and if you can, I would hold up on that treat. How has your record been in the past - have you just had "one" and you were fine or did "just one" derail your food plan?
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would plan, probably several days in advance, the "cheat" and write it down along with writing down the other things I'm going to eat that day. To me, eating my forbidden foods as often as twice a week would really move them into the category of allowed foods. I tend to eat those foods that negatively affect my health about once or twice a year or maybe if I'm feeling particularly weak and out of control, once every other month. You may be different.

I have some health restrictions on what I can eat, some doctor mandated and others that I've learned are detrimental to my health. But sometimes I really want to eat those things I shouldn't eat. It does help me to find suitable ingredient substitutes.

Is there a type of cookie you could eat, that could bake, that uses allowed ingredients? Is there a sandwich substitute...a type of breadlike substance you could make that would be a good alternative option? Or, for example, there was a time when I could eat fermented raw milk dairy (homemade kefir or yogurt), but not regular dairy. I could handle small amounts of properly soaked or sprouted grains, but not larger amounts, not every day, and not unprepared grains. Perhaps you could expand your food choices by changing how you prepare the foods.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I appreciate it. I don't have much faith in doctors due to a host of bad experiences, and it doesn't help that most don't get much training in nutrition. I feel pretty confident that I am making the right food choices for my default diet, just struggle with derailment. I'll try purposefully planning it in advance rather than allow for spur of the moment impulses.

I just went out for lunch and was tempted to eat a cookie. I looked at my calories and saw that I could, theoretically fit it in. But since it wasn't planned and it'd really reduce what's left for dinner, I decided not to get it.

I am going to assume you will handle yourself responsibly with whatever is suggested here with regard to your dietary restrictions.

As I mentioned my plan allows for additional eating. In my yearly plan I have a set number of days for diet breaks, vacations, special occasions, holidays, and wildcard days. In most of these I allow myself to eat around my maintenance calories in some I allow even more. I recently went on vacation and for the first time since Feb 2018 I went kind of nuts with eating. I did it deliberately because I was experiencing a bit of diet fatigue. It helped and I am renewed in my efforts. All of my non deficit days are to help keep me from feeling burnt out or deprived. Some will cause a little setback while the rest will simply be zero loss days. Some of those wildcard days are for when I am having a really bad day and the rest are just for fun.

This is the same yearly plan that I had from Feb 2018 - Feb 2019 and I lost a substantial amount of weight because even though I was not in a deficit 100 percent of the time I was in a deficit most of the time. More importantly my adherence was never in jeopardy. Being "good" all the time doesn't work for me. I have several decades of failures to know that for a fact.

I am not suggesting that you should have eaten the cookie. I, too, think it is a bad idea to make spur of the moment decisions. The only time I allow myself to reverse the course of a day is when, as I mentioned, I am just having a really bad day. They don't happen often but they do happen. I am just giving you this information to perhaps help answer your original question of how to handle eating without derailing.

I also bank calories as @lemurcat2 suggested for weekend treats.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    My dietician suggested— pick a week. Friday morning to Thursday night, or Monday morning to
    Sunday night for instance. That is always your week. During that week, you can have one and only one treat. Think about what you really want, when you want it, how much of it you really want, then enjoy it. That’s it. Then you can start thinking about next week. If something comes up unexpectedly before you have that special something, you can change your mind and do the unexpected instead of the planned, if it comes up during your week, but after your special something, you just have to say, No thank you. Worked for me. Something to think about.