Knee problems

Hey guys and gals

I have recently struggled quite a lot with my knees and I can’t seem to find the motivation to become active. If I walk/run I will have quite bad knee pains for a couple of days.

Anyone out there with a similar issue and how did you overcome it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Roald

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2019
    We're not docs but pain from non use is significantly different than pain from injury. If you've not hurt your knee recently, chances are it's just pain from underuse. I was told 12 years ago that I needed a knee replaced. Doc said it one of the worst injuries he'd seen that year (and this guy was a workhorse -- did 300 operations a year).

He did what he could to clean it up and reconstruct the ACL. One thing I learned in PT (and I spent up my visits that year), while relearning to walk and walk in substantial pain, is that knees feel better after moving. The more you move them, the more they feel better.

Structurally, my right knee is absolute garbage, but it doesn't cause me pain any longer. I only take a few supplements and I move. I don't run, but I do Assault Bike, rowing and lots of Stairmaster at the gym. Making all the muscles around your knee stronger helps a lot. If it's not injured (and if you're not sure see a doc), ice after workouts and just do what you can. It will get better and better as you drop weight too. Cutting way back on sugar and vegetable oils/fried foods helps a lot too. Increase your Omega 3 ratio to Omega 6/9s.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Do you know what the cause of the pain is? Have you sought medical advice?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    If it's patella femoral syndrome, and I'm not saying it is, you would need to build up the muscles in your legs as you are "writing checks for funds your account doesn't have."

I have been through this. Cardio is super but it's hard on the body, and the body has to be ready to take it. Body weight exercise and lifting weights are a good complement to cardio workouts, and in many cases, necessary.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I tore my ACL almost 20 years ago and had reconstructive surgery. During rehab, I learned how great the recumbent bike in the gym was for my rehab wih its “friendly” range of motion. I had mistakenly previously thought it was for lazy people. WRONG.

As previously mentioned, if your discomfort is from lack of activity/exercise, consider the recumbent bike plus a progressive walking program.

If it’s something else, consult with your physician and maybe get some PT.

Wishing you the best.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I tore my ACL almost 20 years ago and had reconstructive surgery. During rehab, I learned how great the recumbent bike in the gym was for my rehab wih its “friendly” range of motion. I had mistakenly previously thought it was for lazy people. WRONG.

As previously mentioned, if your discomfort is from lack of activity/exercise, consider the recumbent bike plus a progressive walking program.

If it’s something else, consult with your physician and maybe get some PT.

Wishing you the best.

Oh god the bike and range of motion after knee surgery! Thankfully after I was allowed to bear weight (six weeks post op), my range of motion was only limited to what my body could physically do as opposed to what my doctors limited me to. I don't remember ROM issues that limited my cycling with my first two surgeries , but third surgery taught me how important it is to try to break up scar tissue via massage.
    The last two involved MPFL repairs as well as the TTO and the only reason I was able to get on my bike on a trainer so early after my last surgery is because I did massive amounts of scar massage (as dictated by my physical therapist). The lack of MPFL repairs the first during the first surgeries is likely why a. I don't remember there being major issues with ROM after the first two surgeries and b. part of why I needed the second two surgeries
  • fatmonsters
    fatmonsters Posts: 30 Member
    It could be a variety of things. See an orthopedist or get a referral to one from your primary. The ortho can take xrays and tell you what’s up. If they think you need PT (and you may due to certain muscles being weak around your knees), they’ll write a prescription for PT. PT helped quite a bit with my PFS, as did working with a good personal trainer who understood my knee issue when I began working out at the gym.