Overnight Schedule

This may seem like a dumb question, but I work overnights. Does my day start over at midnight or does it start over when I go to bed?

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    You're body doesn't have a watch or a clock. It doesn't care when you eat your calories and doesn't know which arbitrary category you've decided to put that food into in your diary.

When you log it, which category you log it into and even which day you log it to doesn't really matter as long as you're logging accurately. So make it midnight to midnight or wake up to sleep or any way that makes it easier for you.
  • MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    I work nights too. I changed my food log from "breakfast, lunch, dinner" to time (1p to 5pm, 6pm to 12mid etc) and that works better for me.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    It works however makes sense, so long as you're consistent. I used to work night shift and for my own sanity in switching between days and nights, I kept my days starting over at midnight, but the meals I logged for one day didn't correlate to one waking period. I'd eat lunch around 12:30am, which would be the first meal I'd log for the day. I'd eat dinner around 7am, which would be the second I'd log. I'd go to sleep, wake up around 4pm and eat breakfast, which would be the third and final meal I'd log that day. As long as you're consistent, it won't matter. Find a system that works for you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I would probably end my day when I go to bed but it is whatever makes it easiest for you to keep it straight.