HIGH Protein LOW calorie snacks/meals?

So I've just recently started cutting, I've been gradually decreasing my cals, & doing that extra lil bit of cardio.. this time round I wanna try preserve as much muscle mass as poss! Been struggling to reach my protein intake.. Anyone have any quick go-to HIGH protein but LOW calorie snacks/meals? Would be appreciated! ☺️

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How much protein aiming for? What is your calorie intake?

I usually have a lot of chicken breast, turkey, canned tuna, cod, tilapia, shrimp, protein powder, low fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, egg whites.. I will add some vegetables or fruit, low calorie sauces for flavour to make it a meal or snack.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    unflavored, unsweetened 0% fat greek yogurt
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I don't mind eating cold veggie dogs. Yves in the family pack are 45 calories each. String cheese is 80. Hard eggs are 70.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Greek yogurt (22-24 g protein/227 g serving) and cottage cheese (13-14 g protein/113 g serving) are my main go-to foods as I can eat them alone or combined or added into other stuff. There's always lean meats and seafoods. I might add egg-whites to scrambled eggs. I also do a protein drink supplement from time to time as needed.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Canned tuna.
  • cydneyflood
    cydneyflood Posts: 11 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

I usually have a lot of chicken breast, turkey, canned tuna, cod, tilapia, shrimp, protein powder, low fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, egg whites.. I will add some vegetables or fruit, low calorie sauces for flavour to make it a meal or snack.

I'm 164lbs and currently having 1600 calories. I'm aiming for 151g of protein daily.. I've been having a lot of yoghurt as it's quick and easy, & high in protein.. I've bought some protein powder, so I can easily get my protein in throughout the day, but I don't really like the taste of them.. looking for quick fixes, as I work long hours and don't always have the time to cook. 😩 xx
  • cydneyflood
    I don't mind eating cold veggie dogs. Yves in the family pack are 45 calories each. String cheese is 80. Hard eggs are 70.

Thanks! Im always weary when it comes to cheese, as I know it can be quite fattening and high in cals, good to know string cheese is only 80 cals!
  • sardelsa

I'm 164lbs and currently having 1600 calories. I'm aiming for 151g of protein daily.. I've been having a lot of yoghurt as it's quick and easy, & high in protein.. I've bought some protein powder, so I can easily get my protein in throughout the day, but I don't really like the taste of them.. looking for quick fixes, as I work long hours and don't always have the time to cook. 😩 xx

I buy unflavored protein, I add it to smoothies and yogurt, it doesn't affect the taste very much. Also beef jerky is good on the go, turkey deli, canned tuna, boiled eggs, cocktail shrimp etc
  • cydneyflood

I buy unflavored protein, I add it to smoothies and yogurt, it doesn't affect the taste very much. Also beef jerky is good on the go, turkey deli, canned tuna, boiled eggs, cocktail shrimp etc

I did try the unflavoured protein from myprotein but the taste was soooo bad! Literally anything I put it in, the taste would over power it. I ended up dumping the whole bag😂 gonna try beef jerky as I haven't had it before, thanks! x
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

that is quite a bit of protein. 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight will be more than enough, if you find 151 hard to hit, though more than the 0.8 isn't harmful, but no real extra benefit either.

So if your goal is 150 lbs that would be a goal of 120 grams
  • sardelsa

I did try the unflavoured protein from myprotein but the taste was soooo bad! Literally anything I put it in, the taste would over power it. I ended up dumping the whole bag😂 gonna try beef jerky as I haven't had it before, thanks! x

Some are better than others. They will have a non-sweet (if unsweetened) milky taste and if you don't like that then yea you might not like that flavour. You could try chocolate or if you add an overpowering flavour like peanut butter or banana it usually hides it pretty well.
  • cydneyflood
    erickirb wrote: »

that is quite a bit of protein. 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight will be more than enough, if you find 151 hard to hit, though more than the 0.8 isn't harmful, but no real extra benefit either.

So if your goal is 150 lbs that would be a goal of 120 grams

Oh right, yeah I done the macro calculator and that's the amount they said I needed? Thanks for letting me know, I did think 151g was quite high tbh!
  • cydneyflood

Some are better than others. They will have a non-sweet (if unsweetened) milky taste and if you don't like that then yea you might not like that flavour. You could try chocolate or if you add an overpowering flavour like peanut butter or banana it usually hides it pretty well.

Yeah that's what I thought, so I bought the stevia chocolate flavour this time round, I prefer stevia as it is less sweet. Gonna try find some recipes where I can add this in!
  • cydneyflood
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    So I've just recently started cutting, I've been gradually decreasing my cals, & doing that extra lil bit of cardio.. this time round I wanna try preserve as much muscle mass as poss! Been struggling to reach my protein intake.. Anyone have any quick go-to HIGH protein but LOW calorie snacks/meals? Would be appreciated! ☺️

Make protein cheesecake :) easy.
    Make protein food cake :) easy.
    Make protein donuts :) easy.
    Make protein waffles :) easy.
    Make protein fluff :) easy.
    Make protein frosting :) easy.

I could go on for a bit lol :)

I just bought stevia chocolate protein powder, and I really wanna try and get creative and make these sort of things! Only problem is every time I attempt to make something, it either tastes REALLY bad or completely thick and unedible 😩 can't even do protein pancakes without them being stodgy and thick and tasteless! If you know any recipes? Would be great help!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member

Protein shake.
    Eggs
    Cheese sticks.
    Meat
    Fish.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

Thanks! Im always weary when it comes to cheese, as I know it can be quite fattening and high in cals, good to know string cheese is only 80 cals!

I find that it's easier for me to stay in control with cheese when it comes pre-portioned and individually wrapped. Plus mozzarella is pretty bland, so I don't go overboard. If I found string cheese in Ementhaler/Gruyere/Port Salut (It might exist, but I have yet to find it kosher-certified), I'd have bigger issues.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member

If you like spicy food, Epic makes a sriracha chicken jerky bar that is so good! It's 13g of protein for 130 calories. Not quite as efficient as protein powder, but tasty! Also, have you tried protein bars? My favorites include the birthday cake flavor of One bars and the chocolate flavor of Pure Protein. They are all roughly 20g of protein for 200 calories, so 10 calories per gram, just like the chicken bars. I find that they fill me up nicely as a standalone snack. Quest has recently made protein chips. I haven't tried them and I don't know the exact stats, but they are very efficient as well. Also, I know you're looking for the best protein to calorie ratio. Dannon Oikos makes a yogurt in black containers that are roughly 15g of protein for 120 calories and delicious.
  • cydneyflood
    HollyPFlax wrote: »

If you like spicy food, Epic makes a sriracha chicken jerky bar that is so good! It's 13g of protein for 130 calories. Not quite as efficient as protein powder, but tasty! Also, have you tried protein bars? My favorites include the birthday cake flavor of One bars and the chocolate flavor of Pure Protein. They are all roughly 20g of protein for 200 calories, so 10 calories per gram, just like the chicken bars. I find that they fill me up nicely as a standalone snack. Quest has recently made protein chips. I haven't tried them and I don't know the exact stats, but they are very efficient as well. Also, I know you're looking for the best protein to calorie ratio. Dannon Oikos makes a yogurt in black containers that are roughly 15g of protein for 120 calories and delicious.

That sounds so good, gonna have to keep a look out for the chicken jerky bar. I've tried a few protein bars, but they all seem to have such high calories. I tried a few protein chips, and they literally taste so bad! That sounds really good though Dannon oikos yoghurts, 15g of protein and only 120 cals? I neeeeed!
  • cydneyflood

Make protein cheesecake :) easy.
    Make protein food cake :) easy.
    Make protein donuts :) easy.
    Make protein waffles :) easy.
    Make protein fluff :) easy.
    Make protein frosting :) easy.

I could go on for a bit lol :)

I just bought stevia chocolate protein powder, and I really wanna try and get creative and make these sort of things! Only problem is every time I attempt to make something, it either tastes REALLY bad or completely thick and unedible 😩 can't even do protein pancakes without them being stodgy and thick and tasteless! If you know any recipes? Would be great help!

Tried and tested by many.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10709280/holidays-lets-bake-shameless-plugs#latest

Oh great thanks! Can't wait to try these