Looking for a new doctor

Options
Because of a change in our insurance, my husband and I are looking for a new doctor. We have final appointments scheduled with our old ones, and refills on our medicines to last us during the transition.

Since joining MFP, I've lost 15 pounds. In total I've lost over 50, and my husband has lost almost 65. Both of us find our diabetes under much better control, and we can physically do things we didn't used to be able to physically do.

We'll be meeting doctors we've never seen before, who didn't know us when we were heavier than we are now. We both have a way to go. What I'm afraid of is this: We'll get some doctor who assumes we have no idea we need to lose weight, and have never heard of this thing called diet and exercise.

Is there a way to prevent this before it even happens? Do we need a statement from our old doctors, or what?

Replies

• frantimmon1021
    frantimmon1021 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Where do you live?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Just tell the doctors that you have a history of successful weight loss. I would also suggest getting your records transferred from your previous providers for continuity's sake, but really you can tell them that you've successfully lost weight and are continuing to do so.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm breaking in a new doctor tomorrow, lol, and I plan on having to explain some of my medical history and my weight history, since that all happened back when I was at an old practice and I never transferred the records.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    This was the year I did this exact thing. So I scheduled a "physical" for a first appt. which gave a bit more time than a typical problem-oriented visit. I called the doctor's attention to a couple of things I wanted to make sure got into his field of vision. I looked into transferring records weeks before that appt. And I will plan a visit sometime this summer as a follow up, given I have an ongoing issue for which I am taking meds. I figure developing a good working relationship is going to take more than 1 visit. Good luck.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I hadn't seen my PCP in two years. When he commented about my weight (positively...trending down), I LITERALLY opened my MFP app and showed him the progress graph. Don't be afraid to do that, lol
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Are these interviews? or are they actual appointments to establish as a new patient with the doctor? If you are establishing as a new patient, have your records sent to the new doctor if their office hasn't requested it already. They will want/need that to follow up on what has been treatment for your diabetes anyway.

Perhaps, since you are having one last appt with your old doc, he could recommend or refer you to someone he thinks would best suit you?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When I changed PCP a couple years, I wrote a comment on my medical intake form about my weight loss. The doc read it, discussed it with me, and remembers it every time I go in.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Because of a change in our insurance, my husband and I are looking for a new doctor. We have final appointments scheduled with our old ones, and refills on our medicines to last us during the transition.

Since joining MFP, I've lost 15 pounds. In total I've lost over 50, and my husband has lost almost 65. Both of us find our diabetes under much better control, and we can physically do things we didn't used to be able to physically do.

We'll be meeting doctors we've never seen before, who didn't know us when we were heavier than we are now. We both have a way to go. What I'm afraid of is this: We'll get some doctor who assumes we have no idea we need to lose weight, and have never heard of this thing called diet and exercise.

Is there a way to prevent this before it even happens? Do we need a statement from our old doctors, or what?

Well yes ... you'll transfer your records to the new Dr.

But they should send you a detailed medical history form to fill in prior to the appointment. I converted the one I was sent to a Word doc so I could put it all in neatly.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I showed my new doctor both my MFP records and my glucose wiz logs when I swapped doctors. It definitely helped to get us both on the same page.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just a comment on your pic... Wow! You both look years younger. Congratulaltions.