Does anyone here use oxygen 24/7?

AmyToys
AmyToys Posts: 11 Member
Due to a Lupus related lung condition, I’m hooked up to O2 full-time. My lung capacity is about 43% what it should be. I’m planning on joining a gym this week, but before I do, I’m wondering if anyone out there is in the same situation and has any tips for exercise? I know what I’ve learned in pulmonary rehab, but I’d like some real world insight too.
Thanks!
Amy

Replies

• omnipotentmiku
    omnipotentmiku Posts: 107 Member
    Sounds like you should consult a doctor and not mfp
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    No oxygen but I do have lupus related circulatory issues. The only advice I have is to seize the good days, because the more you do, the more you will be able to do in future. Best of luck.
  • AmyToys
    Sounds like you should consult a doctor and not mfp

Thanks for the appropriate tipI have consulted both my Pulmonoligist and have completed Pulmonary Therapy. Both have ok’d me to exercise. I should have been more clear. I’m thinking more along the lines of the nuts and bolts of exercise with a tank or oxygen concentrator strapped on. Or maybe ways to be a bit less conspicuous at the gym. I’d love to know if anyone has run into problems with other people or gym owners worried about liability.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Don’t worry about being conspicuous. Obviously people will notice the O2 tank, and they will admire and respect you for doing what you do.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    We have a number of members who carry oxygen tanks. It’s really just a matter of finding someplace to stash it while you are exercising and that can be different for each machine. I have never heard of it being a liability. In our club, no one would even give you a second look. We are a medically-based fitness center so our membership is a little older and, while the vast majority are just regular folks workout out, we have enough members with medical issues that they are just seen as regular members. Don’t worry about “looking conspicuous”. Even in a commercial gym, my experience is that when people see other members with medical issues working out, their only reaction is positive and supportive.
  • AmyToys
    Azdak wrote: »
    my experience is that when people see other members with medical issues working out, their only reaction is positive and supportive.

Thanks Azdak. I think I’m worrying too much about being a spectacle. The reality is that with 100 extra lbs and a cannula (and my gorgeous face :smile: ) I’m hard to miss. Might as well just get to it!