Marathon training: how do you do it?

Options
13»

Replies

• almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    oh also! have you ever done yin yoga? it's a slow-paced sort of passive practice where you hold postures for M I N U T E S and it helped so much with helping my body deal with marathon training

good luck, you gots this
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. So, what I'm hearing is Hal Higdon is the way to go.

Now, just have to get the courage. Going from 13.1 to 26.2 is quite the jump.

I would look into your local running groups and see if they have marathon groups. As far as fitting in life with training, it is hard. Especially the six weeks or so when you get into the 20 mile runs. But that is a talk you need to have with your SO. Explain your goal and get them on board. My job often has me shifting schedules from days to nights, and during training for my first marathon there were days where I was getting off of a 12 night shift and running 16 miles. I had a goal and that was when I could get the miles in. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to reach your goals.

• buckykatt1
    buckykatt1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    I never could follow the hal higdon plan. I need rest between running days and the frequency was too much for me. I really like Jeff Galloway's plans. It does the longer distance every other week with a bunch of rest thrown in which can be taken as full rest or cross training. After completing my last half I saw that plan and realized it would be about another 10-16 weeks of training total but only 3-4 long runs, meaning if I just kept what I was doing in 3 months I could be marathon ready with only a bit more extra time and effort. This plan has you running a full marathon before race day, which some would argue is not needed. So really week 16-26 is the needed transition between having just completed a half and training for a marathon.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon-training/

I did not follow the timing on the weekday runs as I generally like to add a bit more time there, but the idea of alternating 10K distance with your increased mileage every other week up to 17 miles and every third week beyond that made a ton of sense for my body. I would assume a similar schedule would allow you to increase beyond 26 miles as well.

I followed his plans for my last two half marathons and it's the only reason I finished. No injuries and you don't have to do crazy mileage.