Running App that tracks Intensity over time

2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2019
    Ok, here are some raw results from my VO2max test during the time the grade was not changing (at 22%), and only the speed changed for this stretch.
    (I know I've seen research basically turning that grade pace into level pace, but they don't seem to go over 10%, and of course Strava & Garmin have their GAP)
    And yes, I was running though only 3 to under 5 mph - at that incline, yes.

@ 22% grade
    MPH - Cal/min - Carb %
    3.0 - 15.853 - 71.561
    3.9 - 19.583 - 93.364
    4.7 - 22.249 - 100.0

So for equal time, say 20 min (even though that last one was almost to the end and above AT/LT):
    20:00/mile = 317 for 1 mile
    15:23/mile = 392 for 1.3
    12:46/mile = 445 for 1.6
    (ya, wanted to make sure those not following along are now - if only so much time available and purpose is to burn calories - go as hard as you can that allows recovery for tomorrow)

More important per mile burn:
    20:00/mile = 317
    15:23/mile = 301
    12:46/mile = 284

Spread of 33 cal between those extremes.

Interestingly enough - very close - 15, 18, 22 cal/min here @ 180 lbs I was during that test (though VO2 is 2-4 off):
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    If you are using any tracking app when you run, and MFP it will do all your burn math for you. If you would like to look at your theashold paces and your pace improvements I would suggest a good Garmin watch and there are several websites that do statitics well. One that I look at occasionally is Training Peaks.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    heybales was that on a treadmill?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Yes.
    Sadly their VO2/electrocardiogram machine had issue and could only print report, couldn't get the data file sent to computer to get on thumb drive.
    So only had data points every 20 sec to look at.

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    How fast you run makes no difference to the calories burned. It is simply your weight and the distance you run that counts.

I disagree with this comment. That's a blanket statement to say that all people who weigh the same and run the same distance will all burn the same amount of calories.

It's a little more complex than that.

Get a chest strap heart rate monitor and look into the various apps out there rather than just running by feel. You don't burn the same amount of calories every time you do the same activities each day. There are a lot of factors concerning how many calories you're burning from day to day. You're not burning an infinite amount of calories just by continuing to move or exercise.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    How fast you run makes no difference to the calories burned. It is simply your weight and the distance you run that counts.

I disagree with this comment. That's a blanket statement to say that all people who weigh the same and run the same distance will all burn the same amount of calories.

Get a chest strap heart rate monitor and look into the various apps out there rather than just running by feel. You don't burn the same amount of calories every time you do the same activities each day. There are a lot of factors concerning how many calories you're burning from day to day. You're not burning an infinite amount of calories just by continuing to move or exercise.

No, this is wrong. KCal = 0.62 x lbs x distance (mi)

HR makes no difference. Drag makes very little difference.

Mass and distance are the only things that make any difference.

Any and every 200lb person will burn 370 or so KCal over a 5k weather that takes 35 minutes or 19 minutes.

If you could, you could burn Calories for ever. However, without fuelling, you'll collapse well before then
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited June 2019

Measuring your heart rate more accurately doesn't change the equation. Look back thru this thread to see actual numbers done in an actual lab. No matter how much you want it to be true doesn't change the fact that there is so little difference that it is hardly worth worrying about. It is certainly within the margin of error in your every day measurements.