Detox Drinks ❗️❗️

Has anyone tried the apple cider cinnamon, honey and lemon detox drink? Cucumber, mint and lime?!? Or boiling ginger with lemon 🍋 and drinking it every morning? If YES.... Did it help with the bloating or weight loss?????

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    The whole concept of "detox drinks" has a poor basis in evidence or science: It's all about marketing, and placebo effect.

(I drink ACV every day for reasons other than weight loss. I drank it for weeks at a time while losing weight, and didn't drink it for other weeks at a time, all while logging as meticulously as I could manage. I saw no difference in weight loss rate either way, and perceived no difference in appetite or satiation.)

Some of the combinations you mention sound like they could be tasty. I endorse the idea of drinking tasty calorie-free (or very low calorie) things that make you happy, often, all through weight loss, because enjoyment of what you're eating/drinking is useful, and for some people under-hyrdration can be confused with hunger.

No need to drown yourself in fluids, but getting an adequate amount is a good plan. Urine color is a reasonably guide to hydration (you want pale yellow, not dark), and for many people thirst is a fine indicator.

Best wishes!
  • GxbbyLatina
    GxbbyLatina Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you all so much for your answers
  • GxbbyLatina
    GxbbyLatina Posts: 12 Member
    I see it all over social media, i also have friends who drink it everyday and according to them thanks to this detox drinks they have lost so much weight... have I tried them yes, I have but i dont see the results i see on them ☹️ @JeromeBarry1
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    I see it all over social media, i also have friends who drink it everyday and according to them thanks to this detox drinks they have lost so much weight... have I tried them yes, I have but i dont see the results i see on them ☹️ @JeromeBarry1

detox drinks are not magic weight loss potions. if they were everyone would be drinking them and no one would be overweight.

weight loss comes eating at a calorie deficit consistently over time. if your friend drank those AND ate at a calorie deficit sure she lost weight. but not cuz of the drinks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    Works awesome for what??
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I have to think if I had multiple pounds of toxins in my body I would be dead.

Have you ever considered that the "slow" approach to losing weight is actually faster than wasting time looking for quick methods?

Everyone that loses weight doing a "detox" gains almost all of it back because it is just a trick. It works best if you start on a fluctuation high point. For instance I will "detox" my body this week by eating normally and I will lose about 5 pounds in 4 days. I know this because I am at a high point on water retention from the holidays. That water weight will come back to visit me again at some point in the future.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    When you're feeling icky from bloating, up the water intake, maybe have some green tea with lemon, and seek out foods low in sodium for a few days.

The "detox" teas on the market make mostly false claims regarding weight loss, they're over priced, and some of them contain harmful ingredients.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Unfortunately, detox drinks have become popular in workplaces, online, and through word of mouth.

As you add to your body of knowledge when it comes to weight-loss, you will learn that there is a great deal of misinformation out there.

When it comes to tea, check out the conclusion section of the following NIH article;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4055352/

"It is increasingly appreciated that tea contains polyphenols and other components that may reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, arthritis and diabetes. More recently, the beneficial properties associated with daily consumption of green tea are getting better recognized. Particularly interesting are the studies which report that green tea reduces the risk of cancer, which is the major cause of mortality throughout the world. It has become increasingly clear that tea acts as a chemopreventive agent against a wide range of cancers. To evaluate the efficacy of tea against cancer, clinical trials are being conducted. Encouraging data from many trials are available and from many ongoing trials are awaited. However, results from human studies are not always positive, may be, due to the fact that the higher doses of tea are used in animal studies than those consumed by humans and in animal studies, the experimental conditions are generally optimized for the evaluation of a protective effect. Large scale well-controlled human clinical trials are necessary to establish the health promoting effects of tea consumption. Only based on these findings, recommendations to human population could be made."

• ekboh
    ekboh Posts: 53 Member
    I see it all over social media

Gotta love those ads... I personally don't trust reality TV "stars" for my health advice though! Keep an eye out for "ad" or "sponsored"- these people are paid per post and typically are given statements to copy and paste, it's in no way an actual endorsement.