Help to alleviate muscle pain under shoulder blade

I have some muscle soreness under my left shoulder blade, I hate calling it pain because it's not so bad that it's hindering my normal daily actions. However, I did reduce the weights on my upper body lifts yesterday and today I skipped the torso rotary lift as that seemed to cause the "pain" to increase.
So my question is what types of stretches can I do to try to work the discomfort out of that area?

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Sounds like the pain I had when I misaligned my ribcage. Try these exercises my physiotherapist gave me, see if they help.

1) Stand in a doorway. Put your left hand on the door frame at ear height. Take a big step forward with your right foot and bend that knee so you're doing a sort of mild lunge, keeping your hand where it is and your back straight. Hold for a count of 10. Rest, then repeat two more times.

2) Stand with your back against a wall. Make sure your head and shoulders are touching the wall and your hands are at your sides. Slowly raise both arms, keeping them straight, palms facing towards your face. Try to get as close to the wall as you can. Hold for a few seconds then relax. Repeat 10 times.

3) Go onto your hands and knees. Stick your left arm straight out to your side, thumb pointed up to the ceiling. Bring your arm back in, then out to 45 degrees, then back, then straight out in front of you. Keep your thumb up. If kneeling is a no go you can do this sitting up with a resistance band of some sort. Do 5 to 10 cycles of this.

All of these should pull, none of them should hurt. Ease up if it hurts.

I had a lot of success with a foam roller too. Cracked the heck out of my spine and felt so good.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    May I recommend a "ball on the wall" massage. Get a ball and roll it on your back against a wall. Linger on pressure points. Take your time. Read a magazine article on your phone.

Try different balls, but a good place to start is a tennis ball. (I also like lacrosse balls, 3" soft-ish spikey balls, etc.)
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    I'd see a physio if it persists. Can be a load of different things.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    i have that pain when my form is off when lifting. I would just rest it for a few days, and just make sure your form is spot on when doing your weights
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    My shoulder has been hurting for about 2 weeks. Saw doctor, went for an xray, osteopena. Going for MRI next week. One doc commented it could be a tear in the rotary cuff. If it is not a tear, the doc said he would give me a shot. I believe I have the pain from doing too many classes using 5 lb weights. Right arm I could handle but left arm was always tough. Now I do no exercise. Nurse asked if I had physical therapy on it. Not yet.
    Good luck with your pain. Oh p.s. when I was getting the xray, there was a man with a tank top on, with writing from a gym and he had arm muscles. I asked him if after my pain went away if I could do a 5 lb. weight in one hand and a 3 lb. weight in the other. He didn't recommend it. But he did show me one exercise with a weight that wouldn't involve your shoulder. I will have to you tube others.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Wednesdays I don't do weights, usually just cardio, but last night I looked up a full body stretch workout and I did that this morning along with some foam roller exercises and I am feeling so loose right now! My shoulder pain is down to just a kind of warm sensation and I think I really need to stretch way more often!