Too much water

Options
2»

Replies

• Harebelle
    Harebelle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every week or two weeks. The past few days it’s been multiple times a day.

I'm sure you know already this is psychologically unhealthy behaviour; it simply creates stress and anxiety <3

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    I drink nearly two litres of water a day and only weigh myself every two weeks after a 'dehydration' day. Being well hydrated is good for you, for a number of factors, but the biggest one for me is that it keeps my back less painful. Your spinal discs are a bit like a jelly doughnut, and when you're hydrated they're nice and plumped up.

By the time you feel 'thirst' your body is already dehydrated.

That said, 8 bottles is a lot, depending on their size!
    elliej wrote: »
    I drink nearly two litres of water a day and only weigh myself every two weeks after a 'dehydration' day. Being well hydrated is good for you, for a number of factors, but the biggest one for me is that it keeps my back less painful. Your spinal discs are a bit like a jelly doughnut, and when you're hydrated they're nice and plumped up.

By the time you feel 'thirst' your body is already dehydrated.

That said, 8 bottles is a lot, depending on their size!

Yeah I drink around 6-8 16.9 oz bottles a day. I also an actual meal. Is that too much water?

If you are doing construction or farming in the hot sun, it's probably not enough. Absent of excessive sweating, it's more than you need.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    awolf2011 wrote: »
    My trainer says to drink 1 gallon of water per day.

On what did your trainer base that? For how long are you training?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Harebelle wrote: »
    I used to weigh myself every week or two weeks. The past few days it’s been multiple times a day.

I'm sure you know already this is psychologically unhealthy behaviour; it simply creates stress and anxiety <3

This ^^^^^
  • Donnahammerstein
    Donnahammerstein Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is to drink in ounces half your body weight in pounds. So if you weighed 200# you’d drink 100 oz. that’s 6 bottles of water in a day plus a few sips.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is to drink in ounces half your body weight in pounds. So if you weighed 200# you’d drink 100 oz. that’s 6 bottles of water in a day plus a few sips.

And the research that that rule of thumb is based on can be found ... ?
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Does drinking too much water make you gain weight? I weighed 3 pounds heavier than I did yesterday and all I’ve had is a little coffee and like 8 bottles of water so far today. Does it also add inches? Kind of like bloating before your period? I thought drinking a lot of water helps you and is good for you. So why am I gaining weight and inches?

If my weight fluctuates much with water weight it is because of too much salt.
    Really?? I thought you were supposed to drink half of your body weight in water. Honestly??... I used to weigh myself every week or two weeks. The past few days it’s been multiple times a day. And I know weight can fluctuate throughout the day but I seriously only had a few sips of coffee and water before I weighed.

Half your body weight huh?
    First thing I do on awakening is empty the bladder. The second thing is weigh myself and record weight in a spreadsheet. Sunday's second thing in the morning weight gets entered in MFP check-in.
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Note that drinking too much water can make you very ill or even kill you by diluting essential electrolytes.

(See eg 'hyponatremia' for more information)

If a loved one ever decides to check out, I hope they choose clean water overdose.
    Saw a headline that 14 people died from too much water. Willing to bet those 14 were following crackpot internet advice.
    Saw another saying 88,000 died from too much alcohol.